Ch. 4 - Link, Start!

Delirious

"Link, Start!"

--

I open my eyes, instantly meeting with a clear blue sky, tiny clouds drifting here and there. My body against the prickly grass. That's what I loved about these games, the senses, the sense of actually living in a virtual world. I sit up and look down at my hands, just white sparkles. Then, a menu popped up saying:

"Would you like to customize your avatar?"

Placing my hand on the button yes, I was instantly put into a customization room. I had full control of my character.

After finishing, I smiled at my idea. I had clown make-up on, which is an odd choice in a customization mode - which is why I chose it. I noticed a whole bunch of requests to join everyone's servers. I declined, wanting to discover the game on my own.

I began walking down the hill of the field and noticed a nearby village ahead. I started for there and hurried my pace. At the same time, I made sure to notice the scenic views. It was so bright and colorful, beautiful and full of life. The trees swaying slightly as a small breeze would go through, the grass dancing along. Birds and other animals roaming and exploring the world.

I finally made it to the town, I catch my breath as I enter. It was busy, full of NPCs. Shopkeepers and local citizens. I open my menu to my inventory, I noticed I was given money to start off. About 1,000 coins. I walk slowly past everyone, browsing what each had to offer. I walk up to a blacksmith. She was very broad and big chested, something you'd notice right away without looking down, the way this NPC was dressed.

"Hey, you seem new, need weapons to start your adventure?" She perked up, resting her arm against the counter, cleaning a sword with a small cloth.

I press the yes button that pops in my face wth other options to say. And a huge selection of weapons was opened, well some I could get, since my level was at zero. I purchase a knife and a skinny sword, which was all I could really get and afford.

I leave and walk over to a NPC with an exclamation point above his head.

"Hey buddy," he says, "I need you to kill five boar for me, those suckers are a pain and I need to watch my son for my wife who's browsing. Think you could do it? My friend can teach you a few ways to fight too in return!"

Again, the options pop up. I just say yes and am immediately taken to the fields again. I was given a small tutorial about everything. Way to get to the point about things. It was super easy, I figure out the patterns right away and my levels were already going up. I was at level 15. I soon notice the time and my fun is ruined.

3:45 a.m.

If only, I thought, I could just live here instead of having to go to a hellhole..

--

My alarm booms as I jump awake. I quickly rush out of bed. I know for sure that I'm late. My alarm only goes off if I sleep in. I dress and freshen up before gathering my things and bolting out the door. As soon as I entered the gate at school - those who knew of it - people were gossiping all about the new game. Each with a different opinion. I disagreed with all of them as most of them were insults, not knowing true work of art, because I knew, that I was instantly addicted. I wanted to go back.

I enter my classroom, not late surprisingly, or the teacher didn't bother to lecture me anymore. Rested my head against my arm and felt my eyes slowly droop.

This was the closest thing to virtual as I could get..

--

"Jonathan!"

I shot up and opened my eyes, blearily. The whole class boomed with laughter. The teacher gave me a stink eye then smirked.

"Now that I've got your attention, what condition did Julius Caesar have that his friend would help with?"

I felt my face get red.

So much for trying to get out of this hell hole..

"Uh-um, s-seizures?" I answered, raising my voice, almost making it a question.

His eyes widened and eyebrows raised, making wrinkles on his forehead.
"T-That's correct, Mr. Denis.." He said, "I suppose you can continue on with what you're doing,"

I exhaled deeply, I had held in so much air without realizing it. I rested my head against the desk once again and was relieved by the fact that I got it right. Granted, those video games that I've played recently had some history behind it. Which was including that.

The bell rung and the classroom flooded with students rushing out.
This was only first period, but I wished it was the end of the day so I could go home. It felt much like it, but the realization that there were more classes to go only made me want to go home even more. I joined the students and sailed with the sea of students to my next class. Hearing the normal whispers, occasionally, as I walked by.

I stopped at my locker and noticed a familiar face. Evan Fong. He was standing at his locker - which is relatively close to mine - talking with his friends. Man, I wish I was like him. A day doesn't go by without me thinking and envying the fact that he has such a perfect life. Friends, popularity, family, rich. Although, he does get insults too, it's not as bad as me. Which I could live with in his case if it were me.

But there was something about him, something having me not retreat my stare and go straight on to class. His jet black hair and tanned skin, his body broad and thickened with muscle - making his uniform slightly tight - and his chocolate brown eyes that landed on mine the day we bumped into each other. It's not like I had a crush on this guy, but man, was he a sight to look at..

I shake my head out of my thoughts and quickly gather my posture back and head to my next class. I walk rather slow though; dreading that I have to continue on with the school day.

---
Sorry that this is shorter than usual. I'm trying to make my updates more frequent and it's kind of difficult. So lately my writings been kinda eh.. (Well to me..)

QOTD? Why not..
QOTD: what video game would be cool in VR and why?

I think Sims would be pretty cool, customize yourself and stuff and you can live a normal life. Always a respawn and restart button.. No dying IRL stuff lol.

<3

~Danirious