DINNER AND A MOVIE

Start from the beginning

***

Jessica

The lasagna has been in the oven about thirty minutes. I'm starting to get the garlic bread ready, when my new favorite song comes on. I swipe my hands across my pants, and reach over, crank the volume, and sing along.

🎶All my friends are heathens take it slow. Wait for them to ask you who you know. Please don't make any sudden moves. You don't know the half of the abuse. All my friends are heathens take it slow. Wait for them to ask you who you know. Please don't make any sudden moves. You don't know the half of the abuse. Welcome to the room of people. Who have rooms of people. That they loved one day. Docked away. Just because we check the guns at the door. Doesn't mean our brains will change. From hand grenades. You're lovin' on the psychopath sittin' next you you. You're lovin' on the murderer sittin' next you you. You'll think how'd I get here sittin' next to you. But after all I've said, don't forget🎶

"All my friends are heathens, take it slow," sings a male voice, making me jump and let out a squeak, "Wait for them to ask you who you know." I reach over and turn the sound down, then smack Matt on his chest.

"You scared the crap out of me!"

He pulls me into his strong arms for one of the best hugs ever. Really. It's rates an eleven on a scale of one to ten. "I missed you," he whispers against the top of my head.

There wasn't any kind of lead up. No tears pricking the back of my eyelids. No sniffling. I just started bawling. I cling to Matt as hard as I can, and he just holds me as I release my anguish against his chest.

I don't know how long we stayed like that, when I felt small fingers wrap around my own. I look up and see Cara with tears rolling down her face. I let go of Matt and snatch her in a fierce hug, both of us falling to our knees, a slight sting reminding me I'm not quite healed. I don't care, though. I need this from her.

As we cling to each other, I look over and see Belle, her dark eyes narrowed in anger. I reach my hand out in invitation, but she shakes her head and storms out the patio door. Her rejection stung, but a part of me knew that would be her reaction. Another small part knew I deserved it.

After awhile, the three of us finally pulled ourselves together, Matt handing out tissues so we can clean our faces.

"Come on, help me finish dinner," I say as I move to pull the lasagna out of the oven, replacing it with the garlic bread. The lasagna needs to rest for about fifteen minutes before cutting it. Cara grabs plates and silverware and heads to the kitchen table. Matt grabs the bottle of Pinot Noir and wine glasses, and does the same.

When the bread is ready, I cut it into slices, put them into a bread basket, grab the lasagna and head to the table. Cara goes and gets Belle, and we all sit down. I serve the lasagna, Cara passes out garlic bread, and Matt pours the wine. Belle just stares at her plate, her arms crossed over her chest.

Silently, we begin eating, but it's a strained silence. The tension is so thick you could cut it with a knife. I take a sip of my wine and glance at Belle. She's eating, but it's like she's a robot. Put food on fork. Raise fork to lips. Place food in mouth. Chew. Swallow. Repeat. I sigh and keep eating. If I start this conversation now, we'll never finish dinner.

As the meal wraps up, I notice Cara and Matt eyeballing each other. They apparently come to a decision, because they both stand and start collecting plates. I start to get up to help, but Cara places her hand on my arm to stop me, and does a little eye roll towards Belle, silently telling me to go talk to her. I slide my chair back and rise to my feet. I get Belle's attention and nod toward the patio. When I get outside, I sit in one of the chairs, and look out over downtown. I love this view. All the buildings are lit up with bright lights. I sigh, waiting for Belle to join me.