|2.| random acts of kindness

-

N O R A

-

"See? Isn't this so much better than being in that cramped apartment?" Devon asks sarcastically. I shrug my shoulders, yet a small smile was placed on my lips. "I suppose so." I say, walking alongside him.

Devon decided to drive us to the beach, which I didn't mind. The gas station I worked at was right by where we were anyways so it wasn't as if I'd be late. Although, I knew I'd smell like sea water.

It was quiet as the seasons were changing and it was getting cooler. However, I thought it'd be hotter and neglected to bring a jacket and sadly, Devon didn't bring his either.

We both decided to sit down on the cement steps that lead down to the sand. The sun was covered by the clouds so the sky was a gloomy grey. It was probably the worst day to come but there was something about the cool air and dark skies I enjoyed.

"You know even if our parents break up I'd still want you in my life." Devon says suddenly. I thought about what he said and sighed softly.

"Yeah, same here." I say softly. My hair was flying everywhere in the wind, escaping my ponytail. I turned to face the wind so it would fly in my face, which was towards Devon. "My mom's stressed and tired all the time, she's having to do all this mostly by herself." I point out and he furrowed his eyebrows.

"Don't you give her practically all of your paychecks?" He asks and I shrug. "I don't make that much, plus what would I use the money for?" I shrug.

"For whatever you want, buy a new phone, online shop, books..." He lists off things he knew I liked or wanted. Still, I shrugged. "It's all material anyways. Plus you'd be the only person I'd call or text." I say and he chuckled slightly.

"What about Robert?" He asks and I shake my head. "He's..." I trail off, looking for the right term. "Boring? Like in a annoying way, though. He's all into normal things I can't stand, he's also privileged." I shrug and he hums.

"Fuck the rich." He mutters.

-

"Hey, Nora." Robert says and I give him a polite smile. "Hey, Robert." I say and he smiles.

"Didn't I tell you to call me Bob or Bobby?" He says and I shrug. "Clearly I'm not listening." I joke dryly and he laughs.

"Clearly."

We worked in silence, ringing up guests and greeting them when they walked in. It was a quiet night for the most part, and it usually was. It wasn't ever busy in the evening time during the week. Mostly just during the weekends.

There was a man who walked in wearing tattered clothing. "Hello, sir. How are you?" I greet with a soft smile and he returns it. "I'm good, thank you for asking." He says and walks around the store.

After that, there was a few more people coming in who I also greeted, no matter how annoying it sometimes was. I saw the man in the corner of my eye grab a few things from the fresh food display, putting them in a paper bag as I rang up a customer.

When I finished ringing up the customer, I saw the man swiftly put the bag in his jacket and head for the door and I ignored it.

Robert, however, left from behind the counter and walked up to the man, grabbing his shoulders. "Hey, you have to pay for that." He says, pointing to the clearly homeless man's jacket.