Having grown up around muggles, Severus was fully aware that muggles did, in fact, make medicine for themselves, and were capable of healing some of their ailments; perhaps not to magical standards, but they were still able to heal themselves. Muggle medicine was just as complex an area of study as was the art of magical healing and Severus would've argued that point of distinction, but wouldn't dare do something so aggressively foolish with a wizard capable of such powerful non-verbal wandless magic. His only safe option was to agree. The several seconds it took Severus to work things out in his mind didn't go unnoticed. Lucius politely cleared his throat and Severus quickly answered. "Certainly not, my Lord."

Lord Voldemort smiled pleasantly and seemed to be genuinely pleased with Severus' response. He turned his attention back to the two men, who were now in a state of blind terror because they couldn't understand why they were unable move or speak. "Let us teach these vermin a lesson in humility." Voldemort looked between the two brothers before choosing Jack as his first victim. He pointed his wand at Jack and casually uttered, "Crucio." Jim's eyes widened to an impossible size as he watched in fear and confusion as Jack's body thrashed about the floor.

Jack's mouth was agape and he appeared to be screaming, but he made no sound until Voldemort grew bored and released the spell he'd placed on him. Jim's eyes teared and he grimaced as his beloved brother screamed in a kind of agony Jim had never heard in his life. Jack and Jim had done physical harm to many during their thuggish reign. They'd beaten people and broken fingers, and arms, and legs, but none of their victims had ever made the kind of sickening sounds that Jack was making now. Jim tried to beg Voldemort to stop, but no sound emerged from his lips.

Jack's agonized screams were like bird-song to Voldemort's ears. He turned away from Jack to study Severus' face and was pleased to see an expression of great satisfaction upon it. Lord Voldemort used the Killing Curse on Jack and released Jim from his body-bind. Jim, being a dim-witted muggle, would need time to understand that his brother was dead. He shook Jack and felt his neck for a pulse. "What are you?" shouted Jim at Voldemort. Before he was able to rise, Voldemort hit him with the Cruciatus Curse. Jim writhed and screamed in agony just as his brother had done.

The painful gyrations caused by the Cruciatus made Jim repeatedly kick Jack's dead body. But the combination of being Crucioed and having watched his brother's torturous death was too much for Jim; he died before Voldemort had the chance to use the Killing Curse on him. His body stilled and his screams abruptly stopped. Jack's body looked still and blank. Jim's body was left in a ghastly pose, neither of which bothered Severus in the slightest.

"Weak heart, perhaps," said Voldemort with a shrug. In a further test for Severus, Voldemort asked him what they should do next.

"Um...make it look like an accident...or like they did it to themselves."

"Go on," said Voldemort.

Severus raised his wand and cried, "Sectum Sempra." Large hideous gashes appeared on the two bodies.

"I am not familiar with that spell," said Lord Voldemort.

"It's my own, my Lord," replied Severus.

"Is it? Well, you are a clever fellow, aren't you? Carry on." He turned and whispered to Lucius. "Well done, Lucius." Malfoy preened like a peacock knowing that he'd be amply rewarded for recommending Severus' service.

Severus pointed his wand again and excitedly shouted, "Exsanguinate!" Partially coagulated blood began to seep from the wounds and pooled around the bodies. Severus took a box of matches and a pack of cigarettes from the brothers' pockets and transfigured them into straight razors. He placed one razor in the right hand of both bodies.