06

Song attached: Runaway by We the Kings (this song is beautiful as heck. Wrote this chapter hearing this).

I didn't mean to insult Shakespeare in any way, yeah? The thing mentioned in the chapter is purely for entertainment purposes.

All the chapters of this book literally make no sense but why the hell am I so contented as I write them? I don't really know and that makes me even more frustrated. I'm sorry if this chapter makes no sense too.

Hope you enjoy reading this chapter.

Chapter 06

After my lesson at the daycare, I started being more thankful for the things I had in my life. No, suddenly I didn't start praying before and after a meal, cherish even a piece of crumbled paper or do stuff that would make even monks look like teenagers or something.

I simply stopped whining so much.

And Keira Wilson was the reason why I was starting to appreciate life as a whole.

During all these months, I tried to figure her out. To outer eyes, she is that girl with the wild hair and huge grin, eyes sparkling with life. But to me, she looks more than that. She has a smile that's too patient and too melancholic for her age. Her eyes when they aren't glowing always has this overcast of clouds over them. She wasn't all sunshine inside but somehow, she could easily deceive everyone into thinking like that.

Sometimes I wonder how she has an answer for everything. Other times I think her quirky character isn't that much of a facade. That, when she isn't sombre, she's actually the annoying ball of sunshine I first pegged her for.

I felt my lips tugging subconsciously and I frowned. Why was I even smiling?

Looking around to see if anybody had noticed, especially River, I continued to mop the floor.

"You missed a spot here," a high voice said.

I should have cringed. I should be cringing or wincing. I should. Because those were my reactions when Keira Wilson and her annoying sunny voice first came into my life. But I watched myself running the mop across the piece of floor her hands had pointed.

What was happening?

Wiping the trail of sweat that ran across my forehead, my eyes darted to where Keira was, wiping a crayon smudge off the wall. Her wild mane was tied up with a ribbon; dark purple, which irritatingly made her look attractive. And there was a small smile playing on her lips as she scrubbed the persistent smudge. I mean, who the heck smiles while doing chores?

Barbies and Disney princesses.

Work. Concentrate on that, punk.

I felt something spread across my gut, pulling my eyes back to her, noticing her hands as it worked on the wall, noticing the strand of hair that was tucked snugly behind her ear, noticing every tiny detail involving her.

In a bad way, I felt like Shakespeare.

Uthra. Think about her. Think about her. Think about her.

But no amount of chanting made me recoil with self pity or mourning like I used to do many, many days back. Maybe I shouldn't have ran away for a new start. Maybe I should have drowned myself in regret. Maybe—

"Danuj?"

"Y—yes?"

I hated myself for stuttering. I hated myself for sounding breathy. And I hated myself for making Keira look at me with worried eyes.