Waiting for Freedom

Start from the beginning

*

There was talk of the boy first thing in the morning. He was everywhere.

"Two Avians!"

"Diurnal and Nocturnal."

"Predator and prey at the same time—how is that possible?"

Vaughn wasn't aware who or what the subject of such conversations were; in fact, he was never part of such talk. More precisely, he had no one to speak to.

They talked of him in his first lesson. Then his second, and his third, and his ears that were, initially, immune to what they heard, were forced to listen and register the identity of this mystery Winged. Though Vaughn was part of the council, he never really felt like he was part of them. Most of what they knew, he didn't. School affairs were pretty much none of his business; they were not of instrumental value.

"Iolani Tori; do you think he will be transferring tomorrow?"

"I doubt. They haven't officially announced him yet...he needs to be coronated."

The sparrow—coronation? This was all very confusing for Vaughn and he needed someone to answer his queries although he was pretty sure that the headmistress did not exactly have the time for him. No one else did, either way.

To be coronated would mean that his Winged was one of high status. It was simply illogical for a sparrow to be coronated.

He passed the phoenix on his way to the next class; supposedly arithmetic, his worst subject but even though he saw her, she didn't seem to see him. He couldn't find within himself the will to stop her. Or speak, for the matter. It was simply one of those days where his heart had closed up and shrivelled along with his existence that was, in itself, a horror.

She stopped him, however, at the very last moment before they passed each other.

"The council meeting is at ten."

Vaughn paused to turn, unsure if he had heard her right and whether these words were, indeed, coming from her lips or merely spoken through her disturbing ability to invade the thoughts of any diurnal. He could, gratingly, feel the needle-like sting that ran across his back in the form of a burn.

It was her doing; but was it, entirely?

After all, had it not been the vulture himself who had chosen to dive between his friend and her flame?

It didn't have to be him.

And it was in Vaughn's nature to rethink his reason for action before arriving at a useless conclusion yet again; one that tasted so much like bitter regret and dull disappointment.

These however, did not register completely but faded along—with his withering.

*

"Those in favour of the sparrow's coronation, free of conditions, please raise your hand." Had a meagre response of three which included the single representative of prey. Jing was another.

"And those in favour of the sparrow's coronation, on the condition that he take the predator's pledge and remain loyal to his people without, on any occasion, compromising their primary interests?" More.