Regaining his senses, he slashed down, changing the trajectory of the knife and making a shallow cut diagonally across his abdomen.

He winced at the pain, getting up before Batman could stop him and sprinting towards the door.

Shadow beat him to it as she slammed open the door and walked in with large strides towards the cussing Carter.

Damn it. The blonde cursed under his breath, dodging backwards.

Shadow caught him by the collar regardless and smashed him against the wall.

'You really like testing my patience, don't you Carter?'

He groaned, looking towards Batman for help but getting no response. Carter got up slowly, a confused smile on his face. 'Why, my dear benefactor, I do not understand.'

Her expression didn't change. 'Cut the crap and hand it over'.

He touched his chest lightly, tracing his wound as he shot subtle glances at the door. 'You haven't left me with much of a choice, have you?'

He jumped towards the door, ducking as his threw his dagger over his head. 'Sorry, but I also keep my promises. You can hate me when you're safer.' The male assassin shouted as he jogged down the hallway.

'Shadow.' Batman called sternly as she watched Carter go.

'I'll handle it.' She replied curtly, then added as an afterthought.
'If you have any questions, ask Carter once I bring him back.'

That hopefully solved the chore of her future interrogation.

Shadow sighed softly as she quietly closed the door behind her and headed towards the Zeta Beam in the mission room where Everett was and where Carter would be heading to.

This whole thing was blowing out of proportion.

Meanwhile, behind the door Batman was contacting the team. He had a mission for them.

××

Carter was hurrying to get out the mountain.

The Zeta Beam seemed to be just within his reach when he felt a sharp prick on his neck.

His hands clutched his throat as his vision blurred and his trachea constricted.

Then Carter heard the footsteps he dreaded, the almost silent ones.

'Do not turn your back on the enemy. Rule one of survival.' Shadow said as she pulled off his ring and took his wallet and phone. 'You're not supposed to forget the basics.'

She stood up.

Choked sounds escaped his throat as he tried to speak.

'Just relax.' She flashed him an unforgiving smile.

He closed his eyes as he succumbed to the darkness with only one thought in his mind. Oh shit, I've done it now.

××

Everett ran to the sight of the fight, attracted by their voices. 'What?'

He paused, taking in the scene. 'What is going on?'

'Nothing to be concerned about.' Shadow waved him off, then suddenly turned to him, a smile blooming on her beautiful face. 'Or maybe it is.'

×××

The young doctor had a very bad feeling about this.

He found the entire situation alarming but couldn't bring himself to say no to Shadow—his bus ticket to answers.

And now he was. Here. Soaking wet in the rain, on his way to a fine dining establishment.

Did he mention that he was wet?
And in the rain?

Okay.

On his way to his probable death then?

From sitting in a cozy office to handing out a message to the Nightshade. He thought grumpily, handing the bouncer of the restaurant a card from the wallet.

The burly man with tattoos nodded, opening the door.

Everett ignored the fact that a diner had a bouncer and picked a table in the far corner of the almost empty establishment.

He glanced out the window as he took a seat. Shouldn't be long now. The Doctor thought to himself, taking a look at his watch.

'Would you like to order sir?'

Everett turned to the waitress with a kind smile. 'I'll take a cup of coffee.'

A few minutes later, she was back, balancing a tray with a steaming mug of the enriching black liquid on it.

'Thank you,' He said, looking at the name tag on her chest, 'Vanessa.'

A bright smile spread across her face. 'No, I should be thanking you instead.'

Everett nodded absentmindedly, reminding himself to give the lady a tip as he took a sip of the coffee.

Good stuff.

Then another look at the window again, waiting.

××