Chapter 26

Jasper had quickly left the room and brought Jack in. Jack went over next to Zane, glancing down at his wound before looking up at Zane and me.

"Good to finally see you up, Zane. I hope you don't mind if I check your injury."

Zane shook is head. "Go ahead."

Jack looked over at the others and said, "Alright, everyone out."

"Can Marlow stay?" Zane asked him.

With the others leaving the room, I questioned him, "You want me to stay?"

He flashed me a small smile. "I just woke up. I don't want you to leave me already."

I smiled and Jack replied, "She can stay if you want."

I stayed sitting next to Zane, holding his hand while Jack peeled the bandages off his wound. He examined the injury on Zane's abdomen.

"Hmm, seems it's healing quite well. I think you'll be making a full recovery. I'll just clean it up a bit and re-bandage it for now."

Zane winced as Jack began cleaning the wound. I squeezed his hand slightly and watched the pained expressions on his face. Jack then bandaged Zane's side again.

"There. And you should be able to move around a bit, just don't push yourself until you've healed more."

Zane grinned at him slightly. "I won't. Thanks."

I smiled over at Jack and said, "Thank you so much, Jack. We really appreciate it."

"It's no problem."

Jack passed Zane's shirt to him. He quickly slipped it on and I held onto him and helped him stand up. We slowly followed Jack over to the door and left the room. We went to the living room where everyone waited for us.

I slowly sat Zane down with me on the couch. I explained everything that happened while he was unconscious. He seemed surprised when I told him about how Jeff helped me out. After filling him in on everything, Ben and Paul suddenly jumped out of their seats.

"It's time for a movie night!" they yelled in unison.

I rolled my eyes and smiled. "I guess a movie would be okay. We could all use a bit of relaxation."

Ben picked out some kind of cheesy horror movie and put it in. Once the movie started, I noticed Oliver shiver and scoot closer to me. I wrapped one arm around his shoulder and let him lean against me.

Meanwhile, Zane draped an arm around me while I comforted Oliver. As the movie went on, I found my eyelids closing on their own while my head fell against Zane's shoulder.

The next time my eyes opened, the room was mostly empty. Sunlight poured in through the window, meaning that it was morning. I found myself still leaning against Zane, who peacefully slept along with Paul, Jasper, and Oliver.

I yawned and noticed Jeff coming down the stairs. I carefully got up and followed him to the kitchen. He grabbed a box of cereal and sat it on the table.

"Morning, Marlow. You're up early."

"Well I went to bed early," I said with a smile.

He chuckled. "I know. You didn't even make it halfway through the movie."

I went over to the fridge and grabbed a box of bacon, warming up the whole thing in the microwave.

"What do you expect?" I told him. "After everything that happened last night, you can't blame me for being tired."

He shrugged and started eating his cereal. "True. But even I stayed up until the movie was over."

I bit into a piece of bacon, letting it hang out of my mouth as I sent him a glare. I went back to the living room where the others still slept and leaned over Zane. The piece of bacon in my mouth hung down in front of his face.