Chapter 23

Jeff's pov

The next day seemed to fly by as night quickly approached. Slenderman brought us all outside to where Changeling and her pack awaited. One of Slender's tentacles held a ripped up, camouflage jacket. The same kind the Nighthunters wear.

"Changeling, it's time to do your part. Find the Nighthunters."

He tossed down the jacket in front of the pack. Changeling immediately started sniffing at the clothing with the smaller creatures doing the same. After a moment, their heads shot up as they growled and snarled.

"Follow them," Slender told us before the pack took off into the darkness.

The rest of us quickly followed behind them as they ran ahead of us. I watched them become blurs as their black bodies helped them to disappear in the darkness.

After what seemed like hours of running, the pack finally slowed down before coming to a stop. They all crouched down and peered out at the large camp in the ravine in front of us.

This has got to be the biggest Nighthunter camp I've seen yet. With about a dozen or so dogs and almost double that amount of hunters, this was probably at least half the organization.

Changeling made a couple of low chitters and gestures with her head. The four smaller beasts split up and quietly circled around the large camp. The rest of us remained quiet and waited for the pack to make the first move.

Changeling bared her teeth and positioned herself in a way that looked like she was ready to leap out and onto her prey at any moment. It was quiet for a few minutes until a couple of dogs perked up and started barking toward the other end of the camp.

Before any hunters could even react, two of the Nightstalkers jumped out and tore apart the two barking dogs. Changeling then leapt out along with the other two hidden Nightstalkers and ran through the camp, biting and ripping apart everything in her path.

Seeing Slender appear amidst the action, the rest of us joined in the fray. As I began fighting off hunters, I noticed the large light posts throughout the camp cutting on. With the bright lights illuminating the area, I realized a lot of the hunters were going for their guns.

I yelled out, "Ben, shut off those lights!"

"You got it!" he answered before disappearing into one of the wires connecting the lights.

One by one, the lights flickered and shut off, casting us in darkness once more. I stabbed a guy and turned to see one of the large dogs charging toward me. Right as it leapt at me, one of the Nightstalkers collided into it, knocking it to the ground before ripping into it.

Slowly but surely, our enemies' numbers lessened. All of the dogs had been killed off and there was just a small group of hunters left. A few of them began running, but before any of us could chase after them, Changeling charged ahead and sliced them up with her claws.

Once she stopped, I caught sight of one of the last hunters a little ways across the camp with a gun aimed at Changeling. She hadn't seen him, which made my unblinking eyes widen slightly.

Before I could call out to warn her, a loud gunshot was heard. In an instant, a black blur jumped in front of Changeling, shielding her. There was a loud whimper as the smaller beast collapsed.

I looked over to see Slender turn his head in the direction of the hunter. The man screamed in pain and held his head. After a moment, the man's body fell to the ground along with the last few hunters that were quickly killed off by the others.

When I turned my attention back to the Nightstalkers, the rest of the pack was gathered around their fallen comrade. Low chitters and grumbles reverberated around them.

The rest of us quickly approached them. The creature that lay on the ground was breathing heavily and whimpering as black blood poured out of the wound in his side. Changeling glanced up at me with worry filled eyes.

"We need to get home immediately," Slender told us.

His tentacles took hold of each of our arms and he teleported all of us back to Slender Mansion.

Marlow's pov

We were suddenly back in front of Slender Mansion. I almost instantly shifted my body back to my original, black skinned form, not caring that everyone was here to see. The others, even Zane, quickly shifted back into their original forms as well.

I felt tears forming in my eyes as I leaned over Zane, watching him cough up blood. "Wrath! Hang in there! You're going to be okay!"

Jack quickly appeared by my side and said, "Let's get him inside. I should be able to treat his injury."

I quickly nodded and helped him lift Zane and take him inside. I followed Jack to some kind of medical room where we laid Zane on one of the metal tables. Jack then ushered me out and shut the door behind him.

I turned my head to see everyone gathered behind me. Slender was the first to quietly leave with his proxies right behind him. Ben soon left as well along with Jeff, leaving me with Paul, Jasper, and Oliver.

I leaned back against the wall and slid down to the floor, letting my tears fall. The boys all came and sat down with me. With Jasper sitting beside me, I hugged his arm and quietly cried.

Paul sat on my other side and rubbed my shoulder lightly as he leaned against me. Oliver sat on the other side of Jasper and hung his head down. It seemed like we sat there in silence for hours, just waiting for Jack to come out with some good news.

As soon as I heard the door open, I jumped up and looked over at Jack. "How is he?"

"Well," he slowly began. "I managed to remove the bullet, but the wound was pretty deep. Only time will tell if he'll make a full recovery or not."

I felt my eyes widen slightly and asked, "May I see him?"

Jack nodded. "Of course."

With the boys following behind me, Jack let us inside. Zane lay motionless on the table with black blood coated bandages wrapped around his abdomen. He was unconscious.

I felt more tears prick my eyes as I slowly approached him. I gazed down at him through watery eyes. He looked terrible. I grabbed a chair and sat myself beside the table where he lay.

"Changeling, maybe we should head back to the living room until he's up."

I shook my head and glanced back at Paul. "You can go if you want, but I'm not leaving until he's awake."

"But, Changeling-"

I sent a quick glare at Paul that immediately silenced him. "I'm. Not. Leaving."

It grew quiet as I fixed my gaze back on Zane. I then heard Jasper's monotone voice.

"Come on, let's leave her alone for a bit."

I listened to their footsteps fade away and the door shut. It grew quiet as I watched Zane, leaning against the table as I did so. I can just imagine his eyes opening and his calming voice reaching my ears.

I felt a tear slide down my cheek at the very idea. I moved a few strands of hair out of his face before leaning down and kissing his forehead.

"Don't worry, Zane," I quietly said to him. "I'm not leaving your side until I know you're okay."