Chapter 10

A/N: In the picture is Paul.

Ugh, this is ridiculous. Two days of searching and still no idea who or what's been trespassing in our woods. I sighed as I walked up to the front door of my house.

I stood there, gazing up at the moon and stars. I don't get it. How could anything be able to hide so well from us? We've searched our area of the forest and tried finding information in town and still can't find out anything.

Approaching footsteps snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked to see Zane and Jasper walking over to me.

"Find anything?" I asked them.

Zane sighed and shook his head. "Nothing."

"Hey, guys. We couldn't find crap. I don't suppose any of you had any luck."

We all turned to see Paul and Oliver heading toward us. I let out a loud sigh.

"Nope," I answered the brown haired boy.

It grew quiet until I smiled at them and said, "You all did your best though. How about we head over to Burger King for a break? Chicken nuggets are on me."

The boys all smiled and nodded. Before I could move, I felt a tug on my sleeve. I turned and looked at Oliver.

"Um, Marlow, would it be okay if I bring my laptop? I could maybe search for information while we eat."

Oliver's quiet voice caused me to smile at him. "I think that's a great idea. Go ahead, go get it."

With a small grin, Oliver rushed inside, soon coming back with his laptop in hand. Together, we walked down the streets all the way to Burger King. Going inside, the place was almost completely empty.

I ordered several things of chicken nuggets and fries along with our drinks before we went to sit down. I quickly got my drink and sat at a booth with Zane in front of me. Paul rushed over with his drink in hand and sat next to Zane. Jasper came and sat next to me while Oliver squashed in with Zane and Paul.

As soon as we got our food, we dug in. Oliver was already on his laptop while he ate. I grabbed a nugget and sank my teeth into it.

"Well I hope you all enjoy. This is your reward for working so hard lately."

I immediately noticed a small smile on Jasper's lips. "Wow, thanks. This is a nice little reward."

"Yeah," Paul butted into the conversation. "Especially since we don't have to hunt this time. I think I'd be too tired to catch anything."

I noticed Zane roll his eyes and mutter, "Wimp."

Paul shot him a quick glare before pigging out on more nuggets. I couldn't help but laugh a little. These guys can be so entertaining.

I suddenly noticed two people come in the front door. Both males in yellowish orange hoodies. The weird part was that one wore a white mask with black features while the other wore some kind of black cloth-like mask with red eyes and mouth.

Did these guys just come from a costume party or what? I kept an eye on them as they quickly ordered drinks, but didn't seem to get anything else. I was about to take another bite of my nugget when they passed our table.

I froze as a familiar scent caught my nose. I sniffed the air, taking a quick glance back at them as they sat a few tables away. No way. It can't be. Them?!

"What's up, Marlow?"

I looked over at Zane as he watched me with slight concern. "Those two guys. Their scents are identical to some of the ones we found in the woods."