Sequel Part 2

Alissa curled up comfortably under the covers. She hugged her favorite teddy bear among the plush toys all over her bed. Supper had been accompanied by her mother's tasty cookies, so her belly was full. Her father helped with her bath so she was nice and clean when tucked into bed. And she was in her favorite purple pajamas with bat print. Despite her weariness, Alissa couldn't seem to fall asleep. Opening her eyes, she sat up and looked around for something to do. She climbed out of bed and went over to her toy box, digging through it. She found one of her little dolls that was dressed like a fairy with wings and a wand.

"Maybe some magic pixie dust will make me fall asleep."

She started twirling around, holding her fairy doll above her and pretending she was flying around. She ended up having too much fun though, dancing around the room with the fairy. She laughed, imagining that she was in a fantasy world full of mystical creatures. When she passed by her window, she paused, torn from her imagination. She looked outside, seeing the small light illuminating the back door of the mansion. That's where she saw them --- her family. They were all gathered outside and were shifting to their Nightstalker forms.

"Wait!" she cried, dropping her doll and running straight for her door. "Wait for me! I wanna hunt too!"

She practically shoved her door open and sprinted down the hall. She nearly went tumbling down the stairs in her rush, but caught herself by grabbing onto the railing. She made her way to the kitchen and out the back door. She stopped, panting as she looked around. They were already gone. There was an endless expanse of dark forest in front of her with no sign of her family.

"M-Mommy? D-Daddy?" Her quiet calls went unanswered. She took a deep breath, gulped down her fear, and puffed out her chest. "I'm not afraid. I'm a big girl. I'll go find everyone and show them that I'm part of the pack too."

She transformed into her own Nightstalker form. Being as young as she was, she was no bigger than a Golden Retriever. Her long legs were still a bit wobbly to walk on, and her black fangs were like little needles in her mouth. With a running start, she dove past the trees and into the darkness beyond. The light from the mansion steadily faded from view, and Alissa's night vision kicked in, allowing her to see even in the most moonless of nights. It felt good as the cool wind caressed her skin, and she couldn't contain her excitement. She clumsily jumped over a log, finally stopping to catch her breath. Her thin tail was wagging with joy.

She suddenly froze, her long ears standing straight up. She scanned her surroundings upon hearing rustling noises.

"Mommy? Daddy? Is that you?" she chittered softly, hoping they'd respond. She steadily crept closer to the bush that was moving. "Are you guys trying to scare me? Well it won't work!" She boldly jumped into the bush, crashing into a furry critter. The raccoon she landed on growled fearfully and fled as fast as it could. Alissa was alone again, her ears drooping sadly. "Just a silly raccoon..." She inwardly sighed and shook off the leaves on her black skin. "Maybe I should go and wait by the back door instead. Wait... Which way did I come from again?"

She spun around in confusion, unable to determine her location or the path she'd taken. Simply picking a direction, the tiny Nightstalker walked on, hoping she was going the right way. Unfortunately, even after a short while, she still saw no sign of home. She was hopelessly lost. The chirping of crickets and frogs surrounded her as she wandered. She jumped a little when an owl gave a hoot from a tree above her. The forest was seemingly a lot spookier when she was alone. She was growing tired.

Alissa finally sat down to rest her feet, whimpering sadly. "I wanna go home..."

Heavy footsteps suddenly met her ears, and she quieted down. She stood and turned toward the noise, hoping it would be another Nightstalker. To her dismay, it was a black bear that stepped out into the open. Alissa backed away fearfully, watching the bear set its gaze on her. It stood up on its hind legs, as if to intimidate her. And it worked. The little Nightstalker twisted around and fled. She hoped the animal wouldn't follow her. She took a quick look behind her, but since she wasn't watching where she was going, she tripped on a rock. Tumbling through the tall grass. She whined pitifully and picked herself up again, shaking off the dirt.