Chapter 25

A sigh escaped my lips as I sat back down next to Zane. I was really hoping to see him awake when I came back. Only a few minutes went by before I heard the door open.

I turned my head to see Jeff walking over to me. "Back to waiting again, huh?"

"Yeah, I just want him to wake up."

Not long afterwards, Masky, Hoodie, Toby, Jasper, and Paul all entered the room. Jeff and I both looked over at them. Masky was the first to speak.

"It's gotten dark so we're going out to search for any remaining camps. Paul and Jasper are tagging along in case we run into more dogs."

I stood from my seat and went over, stopping in front of Masky. I grabbed him by the collar and peered up at his masked face.

"Just don't let anything happen to the rest of my boys, okay?"

He quickly nodded and I let him go. The group quietly left and I sat back down in my chair. I stayed there for awhile, snacking and making small talk with Jeff.

After about an hour, I stood, pecked Zane's forehead, and left the room with Jeff right behind me. The only one in the living room was Oliver, who quietly watched TV. I sat beside him, instantly earning his attention.

"Is he still unconscious?" he quietly asked me.

I nodded. "Yeah. But don't worry, Oliver, Zane's strong. I think he just needs more time, that's all."

I wrapped the blond boy in a hug, which he instantly returned. At that moment, the front door opened and the proxies came in alongside Paul and Jasper.

Jasper approached and sat beside me, holding out a torn piece of cloth. "We found a couple of small camps. Some of the hunters had a different scent so I took a piece of their clothing."

He held the cloth up to me, letting me smell it. "Hmm, you're right, Jasper. This has a different scent than usual. Smells more like...chemicals."

Slenderman suddenly appeared in front of us and said, "I think this is the clue we needed to find the lab. Rest up, tomorrow night we'll head out."

Jeff and the proxies all headed to their rooms for the night. The boys all stayed on the couch while I went back to see Zane again. I kept the piece of cloth in my hand as I stared down at Zane.

After waiting a couple of hours, I gazed down at the cloth and mumbled to myself, "I think it's time to end this. I'm not going to let any of my boys get hurt again."

I looked over at Zane one more time before quietly leaving the room. I snuck through the living room where Paul, Jasper, and Oliver slept. I went out the front door and headed out toward the woods.

"Well look who's sneaking out all alone."

I quickly turned to see Jeff leaning against the side of the house, twirling his knife between his fingers.

"Jeff, what are you doing?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

He stood up straight and casually made his way over to me. He eyed the cloth in my hand before meeting my gaze again.

"You're going after the last of the hunters alone, aren't you?"

I frowned slightly and averted my gaze. "You can't stop me, Jeff. I have to do this. I don't want any of the others getting hurt again. It's my job to protect them and that's what I'm going to do."

I turned and started to leave until I felt his hand on my shoulder. "I'm not going to stop you, Marlow. But I would like to come with you."

I looked back at him in surprise. "Really?"