Chapter 18

What a nice night this is. Not a sign of those weirdos in our territory. Last night was strange. Meeting and talking to the one called Slenderman. He said he never meant any harm, and while I can believe that, I still don't really trust them.

Well as long as they stay out of our territory then I have no reason to pick fights with them. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard something in the distance. I lifted my ears and sniffed the air.

I hear voices. I smell fire, meat, and human scents. I growled to myself and started following the scents and sounds. I moved quietly through the darkness as I closed in on them.

Now I can see them. Four men sitting around a fire, cooking what smelt like deer. The men wore thick, camouflage clothing and had an assortment of knives and guns on them. Looking closer, I could see small print on the back of one of them that read "Nighthunters".

I inwardly growled. So that poster was true. These people called Nighthunters are out and about to find us. I'll just take care of these four. I stealthily moved closer, getting ready to leap out at them.

But as soon as I stepped closer, the loud ringing of bells was heard. The men quickly stood, looking around as they grabbed weapons. I glanced at my foot to see a thin wire that I had nudged.

I then felt a slight sinking feeling under me and quickly jumped back, avoiding the net trap that sprang up where I just was. Stepping back a bit, I felt a sudden intense pain in my back leg. I let out a yelp and looked back to see a large, metal bear trap attached to my leg.

My yelp must have alerted the hunters because they quickly came rushing toward me. I growled, pushing past the pain in my leg to defend myself. I leapt at one of them, but he quickly slid under me as I stumbled on my injured leg.

I quickly turned and attempted to bite or claw at the hunters, but they simply dodged my attacks and circled around me, slicing their knives and daggers across my skin. What the hell? Why can't I hit any of them?

They easily dodged around me and attacked mercilessly. It's as if they already know all about me. But how? I suddenly felt one of them jump onto my back. I went into a frenzy of jumping and twisting around to try and throw him off.

I felt him hold on as he plunged his knife into my back. I roared in pain as he repeatedly stabbed my back. I turned my head, trying to bite at him. After a few attempts, I finally bit into his arm and pulled him off me.

I held onto him and violently shook him around. That's when I felt his hand still gripping the knife that was now in my mouth. In an instant, he stabbed the knife into the roof of my mouth, causing me to yelp and let go of him.

He hit the ground, groaning in pain and holding his ripped up arm. I could feel the knife stuck into the roof of my mouth as warm blood began trickling from it. I can't fight them. I need to get out of here before I die.

I quickly darted past the men and into the darkness. Almost right after, I heard a gunshot followed by a sharp pain in my shoulder that caused me to yelp again. I pushed back all the pain and just ran as fast as I could to escape those hunters.

Once I knew I was far enough away, I finally stopped, panting as my legs almost gave out on me. I have to call for the others. I lifted my head and made the usual call for help, almost choking on blood as I did so.

After a few moments, the boys emerged from the darkness, quickly rushing to my side. They all circled me, noticing the wounds all over my body.

"Marlow?! What happened to you?!" Zane yelled with worry.

I managed to answer him between pants, "Those damn Nighthunters...they attacked me...I was outnumbered."

Paul stepped in. "We need to get you out of here. Maybe you should change back to normal so we can take you home."