Chapter Nine

Dear Alpha Jace Conan of Sinister Fur Pack,

    The Annual Pack Ball Is Being Held On The 01/09/2015 At The

    Royal Castle Starting From 08:00PM Till Late; You, Your Mate, Beta

    And Their Mate Are Required To Attend This Social Meeting In Hopes

    Of Expanding Your Allies And Relationships With Fellow Packs.

             Kind Regards,

                        Chares Piercing, Head of Queen's Council

Following the late arrival of the Queen's invitation to the annual ball, Jace was thrown into a mad rush ordering Everin to take his mate out shopping knowing they both needed to attend this important gathering tonight, he already had last year's suit tucked away in the back of his wardrobe collecting dust but since everything in his life had changed so suddenly so will his suit. After an exhausting day of being dragged into the many high street shops that housed many products Adelina had never heard of or didn't even know were invented she was pushed into dress shop after dress shop in order to find the one dress that made her irresistible, after over six hours she was herded home by a very excited Everin. She was marched all the way up to her room without a word or look at anyone else, it seemed that Everin's mind was set on making her look beautiful for the Alpha; after a long soak in a hot rose scented bath that had been prepared just before their arrival Adelina stepped into her letting the torture begin.

Two more gruelling hours passed of Adelina having her hair pulled left, right and centre, being covered in all sorts and then finally she was heaved into the stunning slim line dress Everin had brought for her the moment she spotted it tucked away in the corner of the last shop they had entered. The floor length backless purple gown clung to Adelina's body like a second skin, the cut out slit running up the left side of the dress allowed her to reveal a now shaven and oiled up leg. A silver matching set of earrings and necklace made the dress complete along with the silver strappy heels that adorned her small feet, Everin had curled her hair before pinning it up revealing the plain make up which caused the smoky purple eyeshadow to highlight her bright blue eyes. A knock at the bedroom door caused Adelina to break out of the trance, "Come in," she called out her eyes going wide as Irving stepped in his usual shorts and vest gone and replaced with a dazzling black suit that made him look smart and hot. He shut the door his gaze travelling over her body from head to toe "Damn Adelina, he's going to have a hard time keeping his hands off you," Irving complimented stepping towards her smiling, "You're lucky he's your mate, I'm having a hard time keeping my own hands off of you," he joked a loud growl breaking through the quiet room from downstairs as they both looked at each other and burst into fits of laughter.

Adelina descended down the stairs with the help of Irving who stuck to her side, she looked up after focusing on not tripping and making a fool of herself a small gasp making its way past her rosy cheeks as she took in Jaces appearance at the bottom of the stairs waiting for her. Jace stood in a black tuxedo that clung to his muscles along with the dark purple shirt underneath that ironically matched the colour of Adelina's dress, his normally mop of a hairdo was spiked up with a lot of gel that made him look younger and hotter than usual, Adelina caught the flicker of lust that crossed his eyes as he took in the slit of her dress. Irving let out a cough breaking the awkward sexual tension that had started to suffocate him, "Come we must leave otherwise we will be late... and you know what they're like if you are late," he pushed them out of the house quite forcibly towards the waiting limo outside. Jace and Adelina sat next to each other to the far side of the limo their thighs brushing together with every turn or swerve the car made, Irving sat watching the streets and lights flick by in a blur, he didn't want to watch the mated couple across from him as every time he did jealousy and loneliness filled up his body. His circumstances when it came to his mate was different to Jaces, his mate was a male and they were rare to find but hopefully tonight would be the chance for that to change.

As soon as the limo pulled up the driveway Adelina stepped out glancing around at the new surroundings, in front of her stood a huge white house covered in multiple shades of ivy, the gardens surrounding it were kept immaculate and spotted with flower beds, the sound of running water caused her to look at the water fountain behind the limo in awe. Soft classical music could be heard from inside as well as the sounds of people laughing and talking, Jace hadn't told her much of the party they were attending but she knew it was strictly wolves, Irving walked straight past them heading over to greet a small group of well-dressed people she assumed he knew. Jace appeared by her side as he was finished talking to the limo driver and gently took her arm, entering the ballroom Adelina cast her eyes taking in everything feeling excited as multiple people spoke to Jace; finally managing to break free from the questions targeted at them both he led her on to the dancefloor other mated couples moving aside to give them space. He turned her around to face him and smiled sweetly bringing her flush up against his body, his hand rested on her bare back while his left held her hand, Adelina rested her head on his shoulder closing her eyes and they swayed to the music.

Jace and Adelina danced late into the night deep in their own world unaware of people surrounding the of the change in music, they even failed to notice Irving leave half way through annoyed of being surrounded by mated wolves. Adelina was having a conflicted conversation with herself, due to the strength of the bond her and Jace now shared she was trying to figure out how was the best way to tell Jace she was falling in love with him and how quickly she was, Jace had protected her from the second they had met and Dante had laid back and hardly spoke to her let alone touch her; he had kept out of their way for now but for how long is anyone's guess. Adelina glanced up at Jace smiling softly as she spotted him in deep in thought, deciding against telling him how she feels for the time being, laying her head back on her shoulder as she allowed her mind to venture back to thoughts of the future. Jace danced staring out into space thinking of how lucky he is to be mated to such a loving and beautiful woman, he didn't want to lie and force Adelina into telling him who had beaten her up while in his pack but it was his duty to protect his mate and new Alpha Female. Whoever it was smart enough to know not to come near her now that he was a permanent fixture in her life, Jace smiled the woman he was holding in his arms had turned his dark world upside down completely, he could never remember a time where he was ever this happy since his mother was murdered. His hand moved up her back sending shocks through his entire body as he watched Adelina's body shake from the effect, he decided then and there that tonight was the night he had to tell her to her face that he loved her.

Adelina looked up at Jace in shock as he took her hand and gently guided her away from the still crowded house and into the garden maze hidden at the back of the house, one minute he was caressing her back and the next she was being dragged into the coldness of the night, "Jace! Where are we going?" she asked her voice coated with wonder and a sliver of excitement. "You'll see my love," he simply answered as he helped her through the door of a small gazebo at the end of the maze. Switching on the lights and the fire he pointed for her to take a seat on one of the red sofas as he took a seat next to her. Adelina felt dread and worry run through her veins, she had never seen Jace look this nervous before and it was a cause for worry, she saw him shaking slightly as he sat their trying to find the best way to say it, "I love you Adelina," he glanced up to gaze into her eyes throwing caution into the wind. With her jaw slack unable to close Adelina stared at Jace in shock, her mind kept replaying those sweet sounding four words he had just admitted to her, the room filled with awkward tension as the silence stretched into minutes. Finally shutting her mouth, Adelina tried to order her brain to say something in response but it kept drawing a blank, 'Just say I love you back, it's not that hard you know,' her wolf goaded at her. Deep down Adelina knew her wolf was right, it shouldn't be that hard to say it back to him but she was too weak to say it. She looked up at Jace after ten minutes and held his gaze strongly,

"I love you too Jace."