Chapter Six

The minutes ticked by on the clock into hours, torturously slow for Jace who had positioned himself right outside the infirmary door, taking in deep and heavy breaths he willed himself to calm down as his body still shook with fear and adrenaline. The fight he had witnessed and participated in were flashing through his mind constantly along with the thoughts of Adelina who, instead of lying on the doctors operating table, could have been lying in a shallow grave rotting away just like his mother was. The sounds of Jace banging his head on the wall opposite the infirmary muffled the approaching steps of his Beta Nathan who had been away for business, just as Nathan approached Jace and was about to make his presence known, the doors to the infirmary swung open revealing the pack doctor, Luke. Jace’s eyes flickered from Nathan to Luke whom nodded his head at him as a sign of success; his mate was alive and safe bringing a smile to Jace’s lips. “The shrapnel had travelled deep through her veins and poisoned half of her blood, I managed to flush the silver out of her system but it will take her weeks maybe even months for her to recover properly and even then you will have to gentle with her. Her wolf is weakened from god knows how much pain and torture she has gone through these past years and with this on top of it, it’s a miracle she has even survived,” he advised Jace who blinked in response and nodded understanding what Luke was getting at. “How far was it from travelling to her heart?” he questioned, running a shaking hand through his hair causing it to stand up in all different directions. “If I hadn’t arrived when I did, she would have been dead in under two minutes, it was that serious,” he answered his voice dropping a few octaves causing Jace to gulp.

Adelina laid in her wolf form her black tipped tail flickering happily as she leapt up and pounded after a brightly coloured butterfly as it flew towards a calm flowing crystal clear river that formed into a reservoir at the end. The butterfly flew up into the air out of her reach and took off past the cloudless sky and into the direction of the sun, feeling lonely suddenly Adelina lay on a flat rock by the pool of the river, her brown head rested upon her paws as she watched the tiny ripples that the fish made in synchronisation. The sound of a twig snapping in the woods not far from where Adelina lay broke the silence in the air, a sandy coloured wolf she had never seen before approached her cautiously, its head bowed in submission showing he meant no harm. Adelina tilted her head to the side in amusement at whom this new wolf was and why he had suddenly appeared, that’s when the wolf bounded towards her watching her every move as he approached the rock she was perched on. Rays of sunlight bounced off her silky coat making her look more beautiful then what she already was; he lay down on the ground next to her, mimicking her he rested his head on his paws staring up into the blue orbs of her eyes. She looked down at him, a flicker of recognition flaring up somewhere deep inside her as she licked his muzzle softly and slowly causing love to fill the wolf’s eyes as he returned the lick to Adelinas muzzle. Adelina jumped down purring softly and rubbed her head up against his body as a voice pierced through the air echoing painfully, “Adelina…. Adelina….”

Adelina opened her eyes blinking repeatedly as the harsh light stung them, she tried to move causing a shot of pain to course through her body and a gasp to leave her dry lips. The door to her room flung open and Jace came running in straight to her side, his worry for her rolled off his body and hung in the air thickly as he grabbed a hold of her hand, “Baby, it’s okay. Don’t move, you’re safe now.” His eyes filled up with tears as he watched his love cling to his hand desperately, tears filling her eyes before sliding down her cheeks, Jace’s tears fell, bonding together with hers. Stroking away the tears with his fingertips, gently he reached down and placed his lips over hers bathing in the pleasure that he felt after not being able to get a response from her in months. His lips were so soft and gentle against her own lips causing Adelina to softly stroke them with the tip of her tongue before invading his mouth, a soft moan escaped Jace’s mouth allowing her impatient tongue to enter before letting his own tongue explore her taste.

Jace sat watching as Adelina lay asleep, his lips still tingling from the kiss they had shared, he could tell she was still healing and that her wolf wasn’t ready to face the world, placing a flittering kiss on her forehead, he pulled up the blanket so it rested just below her chin. Shutting the door behind him quietly he walked up the stairs rubbing at his head vigorously, he was so close to losing his mate in the exact same place and way as he had his mother, collapsing on his bed in exhaustion, ‘Alpha duties call Jace, we have the pack to train and you need to make a treaty with the Running Stone pack otherwise we’ll both be overrun by hunters and bloodlusts,’ he knew that he wasn’t going to be getting rest anytime soon. Jumping off the bed he decided that when all of was over he would go on a trip with Adelina where it would just be the two of them for the week.

Adelina woke a few hours later, the first thing she picked up on was the emptiness of the room, she frowned expecting Jace to at least be by her side and instead of leaving it. Carefully she sat up testing the lengths her body was at after the internal rest it had had, deciding that there was no serious damage apart from the unused muscles she stood up completely, after dressing she exited the room in search of Jace.

Irving made his way towards Jace’s office; while everyone was asleep and since his brain wouldn’t shut up and allow him any he decided this was his chance to figure out what the next move the bloodlust’s were planning. Pushing the door open to the room he jumped in surprise as a pair of innocent blue eyes peered at him through the darkness, flickering the light on he saw the blue eyes belonged to Adelina who was laying on the couch under the window. “Oh jeez, sorry Adelina. Did I wake you?” Irving bowed his head just managing to glance the shake of a head in reply, “I guess you couldn’t sleep either huh?” he glanced up towards her as he took a seat at the head of Jace’s desk. “I’ve been asleep for months and I also couldn’t find Jace,” she shrugged lying back down on the sofa getting comfortable. Irving chuckled pulling out the map and laying it flat on the surface of the desk his attention turning towards the areas that were most likely to be an zone of attack. Adelina watched him as he wrote a list of what must have been the areas he was looking at sighing quietly at the thought of being unable to help him. She turned her head towards the ceiling her thoughts immediately shifting towards Jace, her wolf was no doubt head over heels for him already but she knew her human side was playing hard to get. All she could think about was is she going to fall in love with the sweet hearted Alpha that goes by the name of Jace Conan?