Chapter 18: Farewell

"C'mon man." Will said and wrapped Jake's arm around his shoulder. Jake grunted in pain and fell to one knee. "C'mon man, get up." Will pleaded. Jake spit out blood. "Hey, you're gonna be okay." Will said. Jake continued to struggle. "You got this, Jake. Come on." Will said calmly. "Will..." Jake quietly said. "I ain't gon' make it. Y'er gonna havta leave me here." He said. "What? No, think about Kendra. Clementine." Will said. "She needs you." Will added. "She's been through it before." Jake told him. "What do you mean?" Jake fell to the ground and spit out more blood.

"This guy, Ben, fell into a back alley. Me and this other guy, Lee, went to save 'em. But he was impaled. There was no savin' 'em." Jake leaned against the wall. "I was terrible to him, so I stayed to die with 'em. But somehow, I managed to escape the walkers." Will frowned at him. "We never saw each other f'er a long time. She'll get over it." He told him. "No man, you're her brother. She needs you." Will said.

"What's going on?" Clementine asked as she approached them. "Everything's fine." Will said. "Don't lie to her, Will." Jake said with a glare. "What happened?" Clementine asked again. "Guess I'll uhhh... check the truck." Will stated.

Clementine kneeled in front of her brother. "Jake, what happened?" Jake looked at her. "Jake? What happened?" Kendra asked her boyfriend. Abigail followed behind. "Look, I'm only gonna say this once, and y'er gon' do what I say." Jake ordered.

"What is it?" Clementine questioned once again. Jake scowled and removed his hand from his wound. Clementine looked at the wound with disbelief. "Just go." Jake said to them. Clementine shook her head. "No, you're coming with us." Clementine begged. "Please... I can't lose you again." Clementine told her brother.

Kendra reached for Jake's hand and squeezed it. "Look, I... I ain't gonna make it." Jake slowly said. Kendra pressed a kiss against Jake's cheek and wiped a few tears away.

Abigail placed her hand on Kendra's shoulder. A tear slipped from Clementine's eye. "Please, we'll take care of you." She told him. "No Clem. I've done enough bad as it is." Tears leaked out of Jake's little sisters eyes. "You're not bad... not to me." Clementine said. Jake frowned at her.

"C'mon, we need to go." Will said. "Give us a second!" Abigail hissed. "No, that's it. Y'all gotta go." Jake said. "No, we ain't." Kendra said, her voice cracking in the process. "Go on Ken. I love you." Jake said. Kendra nodded and gave him a kiss. "I love you too." She whimpered. "C'mon. Let's go." Will told Kendra.

Abigail gave Jake a sad look. "Jake, thank you for takin' care of us f'er so long." She said. Jake nodded at her. She kneeled down and gave Jake a hug. As Abigail walked over to the truck, Clementine gripped Jake's hand tightly. "Please..." She said. "You gotta go, now." Jake demanded. Clementine looked a Jake with sad eyes and wiped her tears away. "I love you." Clementine muttered. Jake slowly nodded. "I love you, to." He muttered. Clementine leaned closer and hugged her brother tightly.

"C'mon, we gotta go." Will said, placing his hand on Clementine's shoulder. Clementine looked at her brother for the last time, and walked to the truck.

"You sure about this man?" Will asked. Jake nodded. "Yeah, go on." Will nodded. "Gonna miss you man." He said. "Don't get too attached. Gon' make it harder." Jake said.

As Will began to walk back to the truck, Jake called out to him. "Hey!" Will looked over at Jake. "Watch over them.... okay?" Jake said. Will turned fully and nodded. Jake nodded back. "A'ight. Good." Jake said.

As the truck drove away, Jake slowly began to lose conciseness. Jake leaned his head in the wall and closed his eyes. Letting himself drift away.