Chapter 1

I quickly began to brush my hair and grabbed my jacket.

"You like?" I asked my maltese, Levi.

He sat there with his leash in his mouth with sad eyes.

"Aww, I'll walk you tomorrow." I say routinely.

I gave him a quick rub and left for work.

*

As I entered the small café, a strong whiff of coffee hit me instantly. I've worked here for about 2 years now. I walked to the coffee machine since it had just been heated, probably from Christine, my best friend. I poured myself a cup and added a little sugar. I always prefer my coffee black instead of with loaded sugar.

"Hey sexy lady." Christine yelled from the other side of the café.

"Hey girl" I slurred tiredly.

" You're always so tired. Partying without me?"

"Yeah, with Levi he keeps barking and scratching the doors at night."

" That's kind of weird Charlie." She says concerned.

" I know I just don't want to think about it too much" I said. "Every time I try to see what's happening nothing is there."

"OK I can stay over if you want me to?"

" That'll be nice plus you haven't stayed over in a while."

"Great! But lets go open up the cash registers before the customers come." She says ending the conversation.

Thomas's POV

I often come to the café ever Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. However, my brother, Brandon, comes with me once a week on one of these days. He visits me often to be sure I'm stable and in my right mind. I tend to lie and say I'm out with my therapists or getting my anti depressants from the doctors when in fact I am here for Charlie. I'll never forget the day I saw her. I came here exactly a year ago. My wife, Veronica, and I were arguing as usual. We were together for about 5 years. But then I saw Charlie. It's like it was love at first site. I felt alive again, it's hard to explain. My wife wouldn't let me divorce her because I wouldn't give her a reason. Telling her about Charlie could have put her in danger. That tramp would have threatened her all out of jealousy since she can't ever compare to my angel. I could never have that. So I took matters into my own hands. One early morning, I unwired the brakes in her car. I was thinking of something worse but I wanted the bitch dead now and the blood wouldn't be on my hands. She was just a weight on my shoulders. I started seething just thinking about it until my brother interrupted my thoughts.

"Hey I got you a coffee." He said with a smile.

"Thanks." I half muttered still hanging on to past memories.

"Are you liking your therapist?"

"They're fine I guess..."

"Are you taking your medicine every day?"

"Yes, Brandon I am like I do every day."

I was starting to get irritated. I prefer to be here alone anyways. I tend to block out everyone when she's in the room and he's really starting to piss me off. I don't need to take that damn medicine every day.

Brandon's POV

I am my brother's caretaker. After his wife died I feel he hasn't been the same. He always been bullied but I think he can get better if he keeps taking his medicine. I think he might be having a mid life crisis or something. I know about his little puppy love for some cashier named Charlie. He sometimes mentions her but isn't that open. I might catch him drawing or writing about her but he's always so vague about it as if she's nothing special. I guess he just misses Veronica and is trying to fill that void. I know she works at the cafe and that's why he likes coming here because it makes him happy, so why not?