Elegant

adjective

       • graceful; refined; dignified; tasteful in manner and appearance.

Dan doesn't regret his decision, he doesn't. It's just-

It's just that the moment he slips into Phil's car with his ragged jeans and worn-out sneakers, he feels horribly uncomfortable. More uncomfortable than he's possibly ever been in his life, especially when he exchanges the ragged jeans for pressed slacks and the sneakers for polished dress shoes. Especially when they're walking up concrete steps and through a well-lit lobby with high ceilings and mid-century murals and a marble floor. Especially when they're moving through propped open oak doors and into an expansive space full of well-dressed people milling about like this is the relief they've been craving all week.

Phil gives him an awkward smile, offering him a glass of champagne he'd snagged from a passing waiter. Dan accepts the drink and swallows it down a little too quickly when he finds himself wanting to reach for Phil's hand. To seek some kind of comfort in him like he'd had when they were sat shoulder to shoulder on the frozen ground.

"If we look like we're thoroughly engaged in conversation," Phil starts slowly, a conspiratorial whisper as he leans in closer, "the chances of anyone approaching us are much lower."

Dan can't help it. He smiles the smallest of smiles, snorting under his breath as he shakes his head. "Remind me why you had to come, again?"

"My boss," Phil states simply. There's something in his expression that's suddenly not so light-hearted, but Dan ignores it just like he ignores everything else about Phil that doesn't fit into his preconceived notions of who he is.

"You're such a pushover," he retorts. "You could've just said no."

Phil smiles. Thin, nothing like the sun his eyes burn with every day he shows up on Dan's street. "I really couldn't."