Genuine

adjective

       • not fake or artificial, real; sincere.

Phil seems off over the next few weeks, not really meeting his eye but also settling comfortably beside him without question. Troye shows up more often, too, and it gives Dan headaches worrying over whether they'll accidentally arrive at the same time. They never do, Phil pulling up in the mornings whereas Troye generally leans more towards the afternoon, but he can't help the fear that coils in his gut like a poisonous snake waiting to sink its fangs in.

Troye tells him his boyfriend is out of town but says nothing more, though the worried expression on his face says an infinite number of things. Phil tells him he likes spending time with him and looks like he wants to say more, but he doesn't add anything except that he never has anything to do.

They're sitting together in the freezing cold again, snow speckling both the coat on Phil's back and the one he's lent to Dan, when Phil finally fesses up what's been bothering him.

"I want you to come to this stupid work function thing," he grumbles low under his breath, into the collar of his winter jacket. Dan raises an eyebrow, about to reject the idea off hand, but doesn't get the chance when Phil pipes up again. "I mean, I don't want you to go. I don't even want to go, but I have to and it'd be a lot more bearable if you were there. Plus my boss thinks we're dating, so yeah. Also I could buy you a suit. Also there'd be free food and drinks. Also-"

"Phil," Dan cuts him off, sighing heavily. "Shut up before you make it worse. I'll go."

It's not at all what he'd been intending to say, but he can't bring himself to regret it when Phil's eyes light up so bright he's sure he must have a sunburn.