Ten Years into the Future.

10 years in the future (2012 +10 = 2022)

"Mom, where's Ron?" My six year old screams at me from her bedroom.

"Verronika Rae, if you want to know so bad, get up and find him yourself!" I grumbled at her.

Ronnie Rae stormed out of her castle, slamming her door on her way out. Cringing, I stifled my anger and went on with my work. About ten minutes had passed and no noise was heard excluding the rapid clicks coming from my fingers connecting to the keys on my keyboard. I began to wonder what my hellions has gotten into this time. I ended my train of thought and decided I would check the recording studio where Dad was, first. Getting out of my chair, almost tripping on a toy dinosaur, I slipped my shoes on and proceeded down the long hall to the spiral staircase. Peaking in all the bedrooms, I proceeded down the stairs as there was no one to be found. It was mid-September in Northern Ohio and a nice breeze struck me as I exited the house. Surveying the small round about that my family lived on, leaves were beginning to tumble off of their branches and flutter along as the gusts of wind grew stronger. I remember that I had decided to check the recording studio first. Stepping over the hastily laid down bicycle, I weaved in and out through the newly fallen leaves. Heading in the direction of the garage like building caddy corner to my humble abode. Dad's house was across the street and Austin and Stephanie's was next door. Since Cylence's death, Austin has married twice. No one speaks of his first wife. Austin and Steff got married six months ago and seem to be working out nicely; no broken windows, no screaming in the middle of the night while the revving of engines masked the sound of chirping cicadas on the nearby trees. Austin seemed to be happy.

Anyways, back to finding my children. I wiggled the door knob to the studio. The big red "RECORDING" light was ablaze. I saw Dad in the booth with Matt gently strumming an acoustic guitar. Daddy had been working on a new album lately; trying to piece together the sound he desired. This would be the album following The Drug In Me Is You. Honestly, I thought that he would've made one earlier than this, a little late I'd say. I quietly sat next to Dad's producer and my two new found hellions. I loved hearing Daddy sing. His soothing voice brings me back to my childhood; at night Dad would sing me to sleep, either over the phone or while I was in Grandpa's arms, leaving a show. He was almost always on tour with Escape the Fate when I was younger. Along with this great feeling of nostalgia, my children were experiencing their Grandfather and Father compose something that will impact so many others on such a great scale. Dad looked up from his sheet of music and saw me. Smiling, he waved to Matt who had discontinued strumming his guitar. Dad reached for the door knob only for it to be flung open by my babies.

"Grandpa!" They said in unison. Dad scooped them up and held them in his arms.

"How are my little Ronnie's doing?" He asked the giddy kids.

They giggled in response. Dad directed his attention to my newly tear stained face.

"Is something wrong baby girl? Bring back memories?" Daddy said softly.

I nodded, unable to form an audible response. Matt walked over and wiped away the wetness from my cheeks. I smiled up at my husband of four years. When I was 18 I was engaged to Jon. I got pregnant with Verronika and everything was great. Jon and I were very happy and were expecting a little pumpkin. I gave birth to Verronika Rae Parker-Radke on September 13th at 6: 48 pm. Daddy and Austin were there through it all and we were all filled with so much joy from our beautiful new baby girl. I sunk into a post-partum depression and began pushing Jon away. He started sleeping with other women and coming home drunk and angry. One night, after I had put baby Ronnie to bed, Jon stumbled in the door and as soon as he laid eyes on me, he was pushing and shoving me. Telling me how much of a piece of shit I am and how I'm a horrible mother and that he was going to take Verronika away from me. I started yelling at him and accidentally woke my sweet baby up. He said something accusatory and slapped me across the face. I was shocked for a moment, but not for long. I was nose to nose with Jon and told him that he would never lay a finger on me ever again and that I was taking my daughter and leaving. He told me otherwise but I ignored him. I turned and walked in to the room I was sharing with my daughter and packed a quick bag for us, called Dad, placed Ronnie in her car seat and waited on the sidewalk outside for Daddy. Over the past six years, Jon has tried and tried to fight me for custody of Verronika but has been denied every single time because of his countless DUI's and the fact that he now lives with his parents. After Jon, I told myself that I was not going to let another man into me and my daughter's lives.