Chapter 8

Beechleaf hurried forward as Marshstar looked at Flowerstem. Where is she Marshstar demanded. I d-don't know Flowerstem stammered. I was settling down to go to sleep and she was gone. What about your kits did they see anything? She questioned. No we don't know where she went, the last I saw of her was her standing outside the nursery Foxkit explained. Marshstar turned to Beechleaf. Organize a patrol to find her Marshstar ordered. Dewfall,Beeflight,Frogleap, and Badgerclaw will go he announced. But what about me she protested, bounding forward. This is too dangerous you haven't even been training for moon yet Badgerclaw explained. I was the one who found Flamekit she pointed out. Yes but it is to dangerous you are not coming. Dawnpaw opened her mouth to respond but the patrol started to move out and Badgerclaw hurried after them, stay here he called. Dawnpaw sat there staring after him. It's not fair she thought I was the one who found her. She was jerked out of her thoughts when Hazelpaw prodded her. What she asked. Where do you think Flamekit is she asked. I don't know she replied. I wish I'd gotten to go she mewed. Well you still could Hazelpaw pointed out. How she asked, puzzled. We could follow them. She nodded. Well it would be a great adventure and I should've been going in the first place she thought. Would you come with me? She meowed. Of course Hazelpaw mewed. Let's go then she meowed. Hazelpaw followed her as she approached the camp wall. She glanced around and slipped out, Hazelpaw following.they had been walking for a few heartbeats when a voice said where are you going. She spun around, It's just me keep your fur on Windpaw reassured her emerging from a clump of ferns. How did you know we were here Dawnpaw asked. I saw both of you leaving Windpaw mewed. Where are you going she challenged. We are following the patrol she mewed. Oh can I come along Windpaw asked, seeming excited at the idea. She glanced at Hazelpaw and she nodded. Sure she replied. Where is the patrol Windpaw meowed. Dawnpaw sniffed the air, I think they are this way she responded, pointing straight. Windpaw nodded. After a while she began to smell a different scent, sharp and metallic. What is that smell Hazelpaw wondered. As she looked over at Windpaw she saw her eyes had widened and a shadow of worry had entered them. It smells like blood she whispered. Dawnpaw shivered and wrinkled her nose wondering who or what had gotten hurt. After what seemed like several more heartbeats she began to hear the murmurs of the patrol. When they got in sight of the patrol she almost gasped but remembered they needed to be quiet. Over here Hazelpaw hissed. Dawnpaw hurried forward and took shelter with them under some ferns. How are we going to explain this to Springclan she heard Frogleap say. As Dawnpaw looked closer she realized neither of the kits was Flamekit but two other Springclan kits. Suddenly she heard a rustle and realized it was Hazelpaw. Windpaw looked up and shot her a glare as Badgerclaw pricked his ears. I heard something Badgerclaw annouced. Dawnpaw looked up in fear as Badgerclaw padded over to the ferns. What are you doing here Badgerclaw exclaimed as he saw them. Dawnpaw scrambled out of the ferns and shook out her fur, Hazelpaw and Windpaw also emerging from the ferns. I wanted to follow you here she admitted looking down at her paws in embarrassment. It was my idea Hazelpaw claimed, stepping forward. I shouldn't have let us do it though Dawnpaw protested. No I should have stopped you Windpaw mewed. Dawnpaw looked up as Hazelpaw and Windpaw argued. As she watched she saw a russet figure emerge from the trees and lunge at Frogleap. Watch out she screeched, leaping forward.