Chapter 4

I'm just getting comfortable in my chair when I see, through the window, the flashes and screams from about two dozen paparazzi outside. Someone famous is coming in I believe. I check my phone which is on the table;

20.23

Elton will be here any minute.

I'm pulled from my phone when I hear my name being called out from across the restaurant. Luckily, there are only myself and the waiters in tonight. It's a Tuesday after all so I'm not surprised it's not too busy. This place can get hectically busy on the weekends.

''Gary, my dear lad'' Elton says proudly as he strolls over to me open armed.

I take this as an invitation to get up and give him a big hug. He engulfs me immediately with one of those hugs that you'd expect to receive only from your father or something. It felt so good to have him here and his arms around me in a fatherly way. I have missed my father terribly since his passing 6 months ago.

''Elton, how are you? It's been way too long''

''That it has Gary, that it is'' he says in his deep voice which I have adored for so many years of my life.

We both reach straight for the wine and I pour him a generous glass and we propose a toast to old friends. He asks me why I called after we have caught up first and I tell him everything. The break-up with my fiancee - yes, we were to get married in 6 months - then about the offer to go back on tour and how that I was very nervous to put myself back there in the public eye after all these years trying to stay out of it.

He put down his glass of red and shuffles his chair closer to mine and turns to the side taking my hands in his.

''Gary, my boy. I know you feel that this is the wrong time or that you may not be able to do this but Gary, do you remember all of the fun that you used to have on stage with your 4 mates? Did it make you happy?''

I look up into his hopeful and caring eyes and I can tell that he knows my mind is already made up.

''We're going into rehearsals in January'' I say to him as a wide toothy grin appears on my face.

He chuckles back at me and pulls me into another one of his mammoth man hugs that I love so much. He plants a long wet kiss against my cheek and it hits me again that he really is one of the nicest people around. He looks after people who have hit a somewhat low point. Why? Because he has been there himself and knows what it takes to bring yourself back.

''Elton?'' I say almost in a whisper.

''Yes Gary, is everything OK? More wine?'' he chuckles back to me.

''No thanks, I'm OK for the moment. I was just wondering, it would be a real honor and privilege for me if you would come and see us on tour, sir?''

He looks down to the floor. Great. He doesn't like our shows. My idol hates our tours. He looks up and simply says

''Gary my lad, I have never missed a tour. I even traveled to Australia to see your Nobody Else shows. Did you know that?'' I was left absolutely dumbfounded.

He traveled half way around the world to see me perform? WOW!

''Listen Gary, It's getting on and I've to get home to David and the little rascals. Don't worry about the bill, it's already taken care of'' He pulls me up by the hands and plants a lovely little kiss on my lips, this time I happily return.

''Call me if need anything at all mate, yeah? Anything at all. See you soon Gaz'' he says to be he gives me another massive hug and he's on his way.

I sit back down into my seat and take in everything that has just happened. A weight has been lifted from my shoulders it feels. My eyes are pulled from my daydream as the hostess from earlier bounces over.

''Did you enjoy your meal, sir ?'' she asks politely.

''Yes, it was delicious. Please pass my compliments on to the chef and his team, will you please?''

She nods in approval and goes to walk away when I place my hand on hers. She stills immediately.

''When do you finish your shift...erm..''

''Michelle''

''Michelle? Lovely name. So, when do you finish?''

''I'm done in 20 minutes. Why?''

She asks me while batting her eyelids. Maybe I've still got it. It was until I found my now ex-fiancee that I used to have that reaction from every girl.

''I'll have another drink at the bar so'' I say winking at her while she plays with her hair.

That's always a sign a girl is game for some fun I've learned.

This could be a brilliant end to an already unforgettable night.