Chapter 45

I sit there for a few minutes. Not even thinking it over as my mind was already made up before the question was even asked but I was just in shock that's all. I can't believe it. I am, obviously, more than happy and prepared to donate some blood for Rob. Absolutely, but it's just so surreal at the moment. That's when I feel a pull on my hand bringing me out of my trance.

''Gary? Babe? He needs an answer right now''

I clear my throat before looking to the doctor who has his hand interlocked under his chin, eyes pining in to mine almost as if he's trying to pull the answer out of my mouth with his mind.

 ''Um..yes of course I will..donate blood. It's a little bit of a shock is all. Sorry'' I say to him a little quietly. 

I stand up, somehow full of energy all of a sudden and turn to Michelle, taking her hand in mine. I turn back around to the doctor who is also standing up at this stage. 

''Shall we get started then? You said he only has a few hours. That's not something I want to eat in to doc''

''Yes of course, Gary. If you could follow me and we will get you hooked up to the machine immediately'' and with that we are off out the office and power walking almost to the end of the corridor.

We turn in to a door on the left where I am directed to a bed at the end of the ward and sit down. 

''Now, if you could please roll up the sleeve of your shirt and a nurse will be with as soon as you're ready Gary'' the doctor then steps close in to me whilst putting a hand on my shoulder. 

''Being a fan of yours since the beginning, this is a tremendous act you are doing for him, Gary. Especially after everything you've been through between the two of you. A real hero we have here you know'' and with that he turns on his heel and vanishes behind the curtain of the bed next to me to check on another patient as a small brunette nurse comes strolling over with a box full of wires and needles. 

I've never been afraid of needles in my life, but the fact that there is something real on the line now I begin my hands begin to sweat. 

''Now Mr. Barlow, I'm sure you have been told the severity of this donation, but I must ask you again as protocol, are you sure you want to donate blood today?''

''Yes, of course'' I reply immediately and admittedly a little to harshly. 

''Sorry, it's just that this has my brain a little frazzled, that's all.'' The nurse simply smiles at me. 

''Understandably so, Mr. Barlow''

She then starts fumbling around with some wires and wraps the pump around my arm, making my vein become bigger and easier to access with the needle. 

''Now, as you've given blood before Mr. Barlow, I'm sure you know the drill. This time I am going to take about 4 pints of blood from you. You will a small bit light headed afterwards for about half an hour or so as your blood levels will need to replenish. You can help yourself to some snacks and beverages over there in the corner when finished and it is vital to drink a lot of fluids OK, sir?''

All I do is nod in response. 

''Fantastic, now on three, I will insert the needle. Here we go, 1, 2, and 3'' and the needle is in. 

''I shall be back in a couple of minutes to check on you. Your wife can come and get me if needed'' and with that she's gone before Michelle even has a chance to correct her. 

I just look at Michelle, eyebrows raised and then we just both erupt in a fit of laughter.

About 20 minutes later, the nurse comes back over and checks that everything is going accordingly. Once she sees that enough blood has been collected, she removes the needles and covers my arm up with a small bandage. 

''All done Mr. Barlow. Now if you can, when ready of course, follow me over to the snacks and beverage station and someone will see to it that you're looked after. You will have to wait here for about 30 minutes to recover as you have had a good bit of blood taken'' I simply nod in response as we make our way over. 

As soon as I stand up, I wobble slightly, forcing Michelle to grab my arm. 

''You OK, babe?'' she asks worryingly. 

''Yeah, I'm good. Just a little light headed, but it's for a great reason'' I smile back at her.

I sit down with her and immediately reach for a packet of biscuits. Bourbons, my favourite. A cup of steaming hot tea is placed down in front of me and I grin like a child causing Michelle to shake her had and laugh. 

''I wonder will we be able to see Robbie at all?'' I say to Michelle a little too loudly, causing the nurse from before to turn around. 

''He is receiving the blood now and should be fine in about an hour or two. You will be able to see him then, but he will be very tired and may be asleep''

''That's fine. We will just play it by ear then'' Michelle says softly in response.

***2 hours later***

Dr. Meadows comes in to the ward where we are just sitting and waiting for news. He sees us and his eyes widen. I hope he has good news. Please let it be good news, please. 

Suddenly all these memories come flying to the front of my mind. All of them are Rob and I messing about, laughing on stage, having fun on nights out chasing girls. He comes over to us and sits down beside me. He puts his arm on my shoulder and sighs loudly. Wait. That was a happy sigh. My head flies up to see him smiling at me broadly. 

''Well done, Gary. You truly are a life-saver. He is responding very well to the transfusion and if you would like, you both can follow me and see him?'' 

I immediately look to Michelle who has tears in her eyes. Seeing her like this causing my breathing to hitch and a small lump form in my throat.

 ''Yes, yes we would love to see him'' I smile back at him.