Chapter 38 - Panic

Start from the beginning

"I don't know what you're talking about." I stood up straight, I was inches taller than her.

"I'm a holder of multiple distinctions. An aspiring entrepreneur. A socialite, like Harry." She sputtered as the veins in her eyes became more prominent. "You're a whore." She managed a laugh.

My blood boiled at her words and my fingers shook, anger dominating me. She was being so childish. "You should leave." I told her, hoping she would just disappear so there would be no commotion.

"It doesn't make sense!" She yelled as tears spilled over her cheeks. Smudged black mascara framed her red eyes and suddenly I realised I was far from envious of her looks. Amidst all my anger, there was slight sympathy for her. Eventhough she was the closest thing I'd seen to 'the B word', she might have really loved Harry. But it wasn't my problem that he didn't feel the same way. I did nothing except maybe make him realise that he didn't belong with her, or any of these people. I had no influence on his choices. Harry wasn't happy, and he had just realised that he wanted to change it.

"How much do you get for a night?" She sneered. I'd never wanted to shout back at a person this much but I decided against it as I was afraid that we would draw unwanted attention.

"I'm not a prostitute!" I stated. "It's complicated but I'm not." That word hurt the most. I wasn't a prostitute.

"He's using you. That's what he's doing. I get it, he's a sex addict. It makes sense. He must have more Baby Dolls hiding in the other rooms." I wasn't sure if she was talking to herself or to me.

"Please leave." I said firmly. "You've caused enough trouble." I lifted my hand, directing her gaze towards Mrs Briffen who was too shaken up to say anything.

"Oh I'll leave. I just need to show everyone the truth before I do." Her lips twisted into a chilling smile.

I flinched when she roughly grabbed my wrist and pulled me outside. I heard Mrs Briffen shriek as I staggered towards the indoor balcony. I pulled back harshly, causing Kaylee to tumble to the floor. Before I could rush back to my room, she called out, "Look! We've got a Baby Doll here! A party treat for all the guys!" Just as I was about to take off, Kaylee's hand latched around my ankle and I fell.

My limbs trembled as I slowly pushed myself up. I peered down to see only a few of Harry's friends in the living room. Many of them had already left. Every pair of eyes quickly darted to the scene and I could feel my cheeks burning, and wondered if anyone else was as mortified as I was. What Kaylee had done to me would never leave my memory.

The colour drained from Harry's face as he looked up. "What the hell?" His voice echoed.

"I can't believe you. I just..." Kaylee faked a loud laugh as she rose to her feet. "Her? Seriously?"

"I'll hit you up later." Harry said to his friends, signalling them to leave. They all exchanged confused glances with each other as they headed toward the entrance lobby.

"Get out out of my house." Harry said roughly.

"She's a hooker!" Kaylee howled as she descended down the staircase. My stomach dropped. This was the worst kind of humiliation. I wasn't a hooker, a whore or a prostitute. My life just took a sick turn and I was thrust into this disgracing fate. Possibly the worst thing I had done was fall in love with a boy, like any other girl would in their life.

"She's not the one who lost her virginity at 12." Harry quipped. Did she really?

Kaylee's face was a bright shade of crimson. "This shows just how dumb you are. I thought you had developed a bit of sense after all these years but you just proved me wrong."

"Get out." Harry's features grew taut, eyes narrowing at her.

She pointed a finger at him. "No you listen to me, asshole! I can't bel-"

"Get the fuck out!" His voice vociferated all throughout the abode, startling me even. Kaylee had gotten on his nerves. I had never seen Harry this exasperated, nostrils flaring as his bright eyes became shadowed by his brows. He had a long day and I knew he was going to erupt at one point. Kaylee was unlucky enough to be the trigger.

She did not dare to utter another word. Fear showed in her actions as she shakily lifted her bag and headed for the entrance door. She kept her chin up, an attempt to show that she wasn't affected by what Harry had just told her, or yelled at her. But she appeared otherwise.

I heard the door slam shut and I knew she was gone. For good, I hoped.

Harry rubbed his face, expelling a throaty sigh. I rushed down the stairs and didn't think twice before throwing my arms around his waist. My head pressed to his hard chest, his heartbeat against my ear surprisingly soothing.

Harry's arms dropped to my shoulders and he squeezed me to him. "Are you hurt?"

"Harry, I'm scared." I told him.

"Forget about Kaylee, she's-"

"No, not her. I'm scared of what might come. I have no idea where we're going with this." My arms tightened around him. "I'm supposed to go home now, right?"

"You don't have to..."

"I don't think I'll be safe here anymore. Your dad came here last week and threatened me again."

Harry pulled back to look at me. "What?"

"He said I couldn't tell you." I blurted. "He made it clear that he had the power to take away every cent from our bank."

"Is that why you slept with me?" He questioned, a worried expression suddenly masking his face.

"What? No! I wouldn't do that for anyone. I'm not like that."

"I know, I know. Sorry." He whispered, his thumb tracing the cupid's bow of my lips. "But he can't do that anymore, the contract's over. I think he just found out about it. He told me he's coming over tomorrow to have a talk with me. He's going to nag me even more when he finds out what just happened here. I guess you should go home. If you can, try to get a new place. And we'll..." He paused.

My throat felt tight. "We'll what?"

Harry puffed out a sigh before resting his forehead against mine. "I'll figure out something." He was as uncertain about all of this as I was. He had ended things with Kaylee, but I was going home. The pieces weren't fitting. We were from two completely different worlds and the thought of how we were going to make our relationship work made my mouth dry up.
And the thing was, I could no longer imagine my life without Harry, he'd become an inherent part of it.

But I was relieved that I was no longer under anybody's control. I would need to get a new place with my family so none of these people could give us any more trouble. I would get a job somewhere to support my family and I was sure Darren would contribute. None of that would be a problem. The only thing I was worried about was Harry and I.

"You get yourself settled first, don't worry about us. We're going to make this work." It was like he had read my mind.

"I hope so." I gave him a peck on his lips and they pinched into a smile.

"So I'll take you to your mum?" He offered.

"If you're not too tired." I took notice of his heavy lids. 

"I'll take you there now if you stay with me tonight." He proposed a deal. I returned a nod but I was panicking inside at the thought of Harry being in the same place as my mother, and possibly Darren too.
Well, desperate times call for desperate measures.