Chapter 24

The next morning, I found myself in the guest room at Kayla’s grandparents’. Chase had dropped me off at around midnight where Kayla had gotten back at about three. “Wakey wakey sleepy head!” Kayla called as she came into my room. “We have a busy day ahead of us and I refuse to let you slow me down!”

“Kayla, it’s not even noon yet,” I groaned and flipped over onto my stomach, blocking out the light of the world.

“How do you know that? You haven’t even lifted your own head yet!” Kayla argued.

“It’s an educated guess,” I sighed. “Now can I please get some sleep?”

“No! You and I are going shopping,” Kayla said adamantly and started pulling on my arm. “Now get up!”

“But I don’t wanna!” I whined after she had gotten me out of bed and standing up.

“Too bad, now get dressed and we’re leaving.” Kayla left the room in a huff and slammed the door behind her. I rolled my eyes and groggily turned to my suitcase. I picked out a pair of skinny jeans and a long sleeved shirt to wear, and slid into my clothes. True to her words, Kayla ushered me out of the house the second that she saw me dressed. I didn’t even have time to eat breakfast before we were out the door and on the way to the nearest mall.

“Are we there yet?” I asked, whining like a little kid.

“No,” Kayla sighed. We had been going back and forth like that, and I was just about fed up with how long the ride was taking.

“How much longer?” I asked, once again managing to sound like a spoiled little kid.

“Would you chill? We’re almost there, God,” Kayla snapped. Her eyes were alight with frustration and I quickly backed off.

“All right then,” I grumbled and turned to my phone. Chase planned on meeting us there, and knowing Kayla, so was Wyatt. I groaned silently as I considered the possible outcomes of Wyatt meeting Chase. For one, both were big on the sports. Chase was good at football, though I never could understand what that damn sport was about, and soccer. Wyatt on the other hand was like the state champ of wrestling or something along those lines. The way I saw it, if Wyatt and Chase were to get into a fight, it could go either way.

“We’re here, now you can stop complaining,” Kayla sighed in relief after she pulled into the parking space closest to the entrance.

“Thank God,” I sighed as well.

“I’m hungry, let’s eat,” Chase said as soon as we walked up to him outside of the Hollister.

“We have to wait for Wyatt,” Kayla told him. Chase’s eyes narrowed at the mention of Wyatt’s name, but he bit his tongue when Kayla shot him a glare.

“Do we have to?” I asked her pleadingly.

“Yes,” she told me. “We invited him so we wait for him.”

We invited him?” Chase asked her in disbelief. “More like you invited him.”

“Meh,” she shrugged. “Look! There he is!” she said and pointed to Wyatt walking over to us. Even though he wasn’t the person I wanted to see, I had to admit that he looked pretty hot. He was wearing a white t-shirt, an Abercrombie and Fitch plaid top, and thick shoes. I received a sharp elbow to the ribs and turned to Chase, who had seen me gawking.

“Now Chas, I know that you can’t resist me, but no need to stare,” Wyatt said cockily.

“Oh shut up,” I groaned. Wyatt laughed at my reaction and turned to Kayla.

“What’s with the excess baggage?” he asked in a very loud whisper.

“That’s Chase,” Kayla said, rolling her eyes at the nickname. “He’s staying here now too.” Chase chose not to say anything at all and settled with glaring at Wyatt. About a minute of awkward silence passed before Kayla coughed and made the boys break from their staring contest. “Now that you’ve been acquainted with each other,” she said. “Wyatt, where’s the best place to go skiing around here?”

“You’re kidding me right?” Wyatt asked, finally turning his head away from Chase. “This is Denver, it’s impossible not to find a place to ski.”

“Great, that’s what we’ll do tomorrow!” Kayla chirped.

“Kayla! Are you insane? You know I can’t ski!” I cried, speaking for the first time since Wyatt got there.

“You’ll learn, now let’s go shopping!” she said quickly and started walking towards the shops.

“But the food court’s over there!” Chase called after her.

“Too bad! I need a new pair of shoes!” Kayla called back.

“We better catch her before a rapist does,” I sighed.

“Or we could get some food,” Chase countered.

Or we could make sure that our best friend doesn’t get murdered,” I fake suggested.

“Well I don’t know about you,” Wyatt interrupted. “But I’m going to show Chas here the wonders of the Denver shopping mall.”

Chase rolled his eyes in annoyance and turned to Wyatt. “That’s not the best idea.”

“Oh really?” Wyatt challenged him.

“Well, you didn’t even ask Chas, how do you know she wants to do that?”

“Um, guys…” I said as I tried to interrupt them.

“Well, I think I know Chas a little bit better than you do,” Wyatt said. “You know, since we actually dated.”

“Guys…” I tried again.

“I’m her best friend, I know what she likes,” Chase told him as he got up in his face.

“Guys this really isn’t the place…” I said in one last attempt to stop this from escalating any further.

“Whatever, come on Chas,” Wyatt said. He grabbed my hand and started to pull me away from Chase. It all happened so fast that one second Wyatt was leading me away and the next he and Chase were on the ground attacking each other.

**So, I had planned on making this longer but this felt like a good place to stop. Not really in the mood for too many questions so I'll only give you two.

1) Who do you think will win Chase or Wyatt?

2) What do you want to happen next?

Dedication: haha2721

Song: Grandpas shuffling!!!

Picture: TBA

Thanks for reading and PLEASE COMMENT WITH THE ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS AND WHAT YOU THINK OF THE BOOK SO FAR!! There's only a few more days in Denver and then Poppy gets thrown back into the mix and she's had a LOT of time to scheme!!!