Chapter 6

My hands clammed up as their designer heels clicked out of the bathroom. Once I was sure they were gone, I slowly exited the stall in shock. I stood over the sink, and washed my hands in a zombie like state. I couldn’t quite piece together what it was, that bothered me so much, seeing as Chase and I weren’t actually dating. Still, my thoughts slowed and I couldn’t think straight. After I finished, I walked out of the bathroom and ran face first into Mickayla. “What do you say we ditch the rest of the day?” she suggested.

            “What? Mickayla are you high? We can’t ditch, it’s against the rules, and we could get suspended!” I protested.

            “You need this, come on,” she pleaded with me. “We could go to Party Shitty and pop all of the balloons.”

I chuckled under my breath, “Mickayla, you aren’t helping your cause.”

“C’mon Chas, we can buy all of the silly string and have a go at Victoria’s new car!” She shouted.

“Wait, how’d you know about Victoria?” I asked, putting a halt to her sudden laughter.

After a moment of silence, she responded, “I was right outside the bathroom, I heard everything.” I crinkled my brow at her timing. As she saw that I didn’t quite believe her, she quickly changed tactics and grabbed my wrist. “New strategy,” she started. “You’re coming whether you want to or not.”

“Kayla,” I resisted. “It sounds fun and all, it really does, but I just don’t want to-” the bell rang, cutting off my protest, and everyone knew that it was better to ditch class than to arrive late. I sighed in defeat and allowed Mickayla to drag me out to her car without resistance.

“So is that a go on the silly string?” she asked as we pulled out of the school parking lot.

I raised my eyebrows at her warily. “If you really want to,” I shrugged.

“Yes!” she shouted and pumped up her arms.

“Hands on the wheel!” I shouted as the car swerved a little. A whole lot of horns sounded from behind us, and Kayla rolled down her window.

“Suck my lollipop, bitches!” She shouted out of the window and flipped them the bird. I erupted into a fit of laughter as she clambered back into her seat.

“What was that for?” I gasped a I struggled to catch my breath.

She shrugged and said, “I felt like it. Besides, who are they to be complaining? The way I see it, is that you only have one life to live, might as well make the best of it.”

“Deep,” I nodded at her seriously, before we fell into another fit of laughter. We pulled into the parking lot in front of Party City and I stepped out of the car.

“Okay, so this needs to be elaborate, you get the silly string and I’ll look through the creepy masks, we’ll meet up at the costume wall in fifteen minutes,” Kayla directed me as soon as we entered the store.

“Aye aye, Captain.” I saluted her and headed towards the aisle that kept the silly string. I didn’t quite know what she was planning, but Mickayla was a master of pranks. As I shifted through the different colors of silly string, I felt myself grow paranoid. The air grew cold, and it felt like a scene from a horror movie. I exhaled slowly, and as expected, I could see the breath in front of my face. The few shoppers that were actually here in the middle of the day had all but evaporated, as it was just me, and the silly string. Heavy breaths sounded in my ear, and I quickly tensed up.

“I know your secret,” a voice croaked. I jumped a mile in the air and whipped around to see someone pumping fake blood through a Scream mask.

“Mickayla!” I shrieked as she ripped the mask off of her face and doubled over in laughter. “What was that for?” The store went back to normal, and I glared down at Mickayla’s shaking form.

“It was just,” she gasped. “Too perfect.”

“I’m going to kill you,” I said as I gave her the death stare; usually reserved for my iPod doc when it refused to cooperate.

“I’m sorry!” she laughed. “But in all seriousness, I know your secret.”

I furrowed my brow, “what secret?” The only secret I had ever hidden from Mickayla was about Chase and I, but how on earth could she have known about that?

“Oh please, you and Chase? A couple? Come on Chas, I’m a lot of things, annoying, smart, sometimes gullible, and an ultimate prankster-”

“Don’t flatter yourself,” I cut her off.

She glared at me and continued, “but one thing I’m not, is stupid.”

“It’s not that obvious, is it?” I asked after a moment of internal debate.

“Oh trust me, it is.” She replied. “So as your best friend, I’m going to teach you the art of fake relationships.” She said as she paraded out of the store.

“Don’t we need the silly string?” I called after her.

“What? No, that was just an excuse to come to Party Shitty,” she shrugged. “Now come on, I want some food.”

“We just ate,” I huffed as I ran to catch up with her.

“And your point is?” she asked, opening the car door and slipping inside.

“Well, let’s do something fun,” I suggested. “We could, uh, well we could go back to your place.”

“Where my mom is, because that’s a smart idea,” she said, rolling her eyes at me.

“Well, what are we supposed to do then? We can’t prank Victoria seeing as we didn’t get supplies, we sure as hell can’t go back to school, and if we go to my house your mom will see us,” I reasoned. “All of this because you wanted to be creative.”

“So worth it,” she grinned. “We could go to the mall I guess, I need some new bras.”

“After that last mall trip? I don’t think so,” I groaned.

“Then what do you expect us to do? It’s not like we can just…” she trailed off as her mind soared off into space.

“Kayla? Hello, earth to Kayla,” I called waving my hand in front of her face.

She snapped back into focus and said, “text Chase, get him to meet us at the mall. He should be getting out of fifth period in about five minutes, that’ll give him enough time to get the text and get off campus,” she thought out loud.

“Why do we need Chase?” I asked her.

“Because, we’re going to make this crap as believable as we can, no matter how long it takes,” she rationalized. I sighed and texted Chase what Mickayla had said and not two minutes later he responded with ‘oh thank god, I have calculus next’. I chuckled a bit under my breath, and Mickayla pulled up to the school just as Chase ran out.

“You guys just saved my ass,” he panted as he threw himself into the back seat. “I didn’t study at all last night.”

“Cool story bro, what chapter do you shut the f*ck up?” Mickayla asked, cutting off his story.

“Chapter shut up and listen to the god damn story bitch,” he retorted. She glared at him, through the rearview mirror, and refused to let him continue.

“I assume Chas hasn’t told you why you’re here,” she said. “Am I correct?”

“Why yes, she did refrain from mentioning that,” he said pointedly.

“What exactly did you want me to say?” I asked her.

“Could somebody please tell me why I’m here?” Chase asked, interrupting the intense staring contest between Mickayla and I.

“You’re a terrible actor,” Mickayla snapped. “The both of you couldn’t pretend to be in love for a week without anyone realizing that you two suck at it.”

“Your faith in us is astonishing, Mickayla,” Chase said, rolling his eyes.

She sighed and turned her focus onto the road. “You’re going to need a lot of help, and I’m here to supply it. She parked in the mall parking lot and stepped out of the car. We followed blindly and she stopped us, on the side of the car. “First thing’s first,” she ordered. “Kiss.”