Chapter 5

When I woke up the next morning, my dad had already left for work. I had to get to school in twenty minutes or I would receive, yet another detention, for being late. I grabbed a Pop-Tart from the pantry and raced out into the cool, autumn air. Throwing my bag into the back of my vintage Firebird, which I should not have been driving in the snow, I backed out of the driveway and drove to school in a rush. Once I parked my car in the reserved parking for students, I hauled my backpack out of the seat and started towards the school.

“Hey babe,” Chase said as he put an arm around my shoulders. Heads turned towards us and my face heated up like wild fire. I did my best to shrug out of his grasp but he held on firm. “Hey, think of it this way, it could be Robbie.”

I shivered through the thick jacket I wore at the mere thought of it. “Oh dear God, don’t remind me.”

He chuckled a bit, “then play along.” I gulped and wrapped the arm closest to him around his waist. “Better,” he replied, like the jackass he could be sometimes. It wasn’t long before the stares turned into glares, and the glares turned into whispers. Was it really that hard for them to believe Chase would go out with me?

“There are so many eyes in this school,” I muttered, quietly so that only Chase could hear.

“Just ignore them,” he chuckled. “Besides, it’s not like their opinion really matters.”

“I guess so, but it still feels weird,” I sighed. We reached the school building and the people that had gotten to school early, which mainly consisted of book nerds, started to stare as well. I got so sick of it, that when the next person turned their head to look, they got a glance of my weirdest face.

“Chas! Why would you do that?” Mickayla called as she caught up with us.

“It was annoying me,” I shrugged. She rolled her eyes and twisted her long brown hair around her finger.

“So, what did you guys have for breakfast this morning?” Mickayla asked. “I had bacon, ah bacon…” she trailed off and stared up into space.

“Mickayla?” I said, waving my hands in front of her face.

“I’d have a pile of bacon the size of the sun,” she muttered dreamily.

“What?” Chase asked, raising his eyebrows in confusion.

Mickayla snapped out of her head and looked at our confused gazes as she said, “sorry.” Chase lifted his arm off of me and I breathed a sigh of relief.

“Gotta go to class,” he said. “Later babe,” he added, for show. Mickayla squealed the second Chase was out of earshot.

“Oh my God, you two are so cute!”

“Blow out my eardrum much?” I asked as I purposely avoided the subject.

She rolled her eyes and shrugged, “I’m your best friend, and it’s my job. Now let’s track down Poppy and Nate before first period.”

“Why do you want to do that?” I asked her as she dragged me down the hall.

“So we can make fun of them, of course,” she chuckled. It didn’t take long to find them as they were, once again, sucking the life out of one another.

“Looks like JD and Elliot got together,” I laughed under my breath, causing Mickayla to burst into spontaneous laughter.

“Stop…that,” she breathed through her laughter. “I already have way too many daydreams for my liking.”

“That’s your fault, not mine,” surprisingly enough, Poppy and Nate hadn’t noticed us standing there as we patiently watched them.

Mickayla’s face lit up as an idea popped into her head, “let’s walk past and shout ‘get some’ at the top of our lungs.”