Chapter 7

***THE ENDING TO THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN CHANGED!!!!!***

“I-uh-um-what?” I managed to stutter.

“You heard me,” she said. “Kiss, no one’s ever going to believe it if you don’t, oh and don’t bother with fake kissing, if someone’s too close they’ll spot it immediately.”

“I really don’t think that’s a good-” Chase started to say before Kayla cut him off.

“You’ll do what I say,” she commanded. “Now get macking.” Chase and I turned to face each other, and we stood there awkwardly for about a minute. “Tick tock, come on we don’t have all day,” Mickayla chimed. Another minute passed and I felt frozen to the spot. “Oh my god,” she groaned before a strong hand on my back sent me spiraling forward, into Chase’s chest.

Wanting to spare myself from Kayla’s wrath, I gulped and stood on my toes. I was about a half an inch from Chase’s face, his lips inches away from mine, before I fell back onto my heels and sighed, “Kayla, I can’t do this.”

“Why not? It’s not like there are actual feelings involved,” she shrugged.

“It’s just awkward,” I whined.

“Fine then, Chase, you start it,” she sighed.

“Kayla, I understand what you’re getting at, and your choice to help us astounds me, it really does, but come on, do we really have to do this now?” Chase asked, rambling a bit along the way.

Kayla closed her eyes and put a hand to her face, stretching her brow and crinkling it back together with her fingers. “You two are probably the worst couple I have ever had to deal with.”

“Wait, you’ve done this before?” I asked.

“No, but I thought I needed to make a point,” she shrugged. “Look you guys, if you want to pull off this fake relationship business, you’re going to have to kiss. You’re gonna have to shove your tongues down each others’ throats and hope that somebody believes it. The way you’re going now, someone will figure it out an the whole school will know by lunch, then everyone will know that you’re liars, and well, you’ll be screwed. Since you can’t ‘break up’ without Robbie coming after you, Chas, you’re going to have to keep this up until I can find Robbie a girlfriend, okay?” I nodded at her, stunned by her speech, and waited for her to continue her rant. “Now, you two need to grow some balls and take a hit for us all, because if you get found out, a lot more shit is going to happen, and it’s bigger than the school.”

Silence fell after Kayla finished her speech, and Chase was the first to say something. “Nice Dr. Cox rant, but it was lacking a few girls’ names.” I couldn’t stop myself from doubling over in laughter, and after a while, I started to choke on it.

“Breathe Chas,” Kayla coaxed me.

“S-Sorry,” I stuttered through my coughs. “It’s just, if anyone, you remind me of JD.”

“I know right? It’s all about the hair,” I laughed again at Mickayla’s remark and Chase looked at us like we were crazy. “Now, back to what I was saying earlier, kiss.” I sighed; realizing that arguing with her would get us nowhere, especially not out of this situation. Turning to Chase, I stood up on my toes, and lightly pressed my lips to his. I kept my eyes wide open and my lips pressed together. “No, no, no, you’re doing it wrong. Both of you close your eyes,” Mickayla interrupted.

With a sigh, I closed mine and after a second pulled away. “Happy now?” I asked as I turned to her.

“Of course not, you need to make out, not little kid kiss, pretend he’s like, Wyatt or someone,” Kayla almost screamed. I stiffened at the mention of my first boyfriend, Wyatt. We had met at camp, the summer before sophomore year, and had kissed three times, while we were there. It turned out that he lived on the other side of the state, and we tried long distance for a while, but the end was worse than I thought.