Chapter 21

“You have got to be kidding me,” I groaned.

            “Not in the slightest,” Wyatt grinned back in victory. “C’mon Chas, it’s all in the Christmas spirit.”

            “I’m Jewish,” I growled and narrowed my eyes. I hoped that he might possibly believe to act.

            “No you aren’t Chas, I remember everything about you, you may not be the best Christian, but you do celebrate Christmas,” Wyatt smirked. “And that means hat you believe in the powers of the mistletoe.”

            “Wyatt, you don’t understand, I really can’t…” I trailed off as I debated on telling him about Chase. On the one hand, ever since we had broken up, I had wanted to kiss him again. On the other hand, however, he was moving to Colorado Springs and would find out about Chase eventually.

            “Why can’t you?” He asked.

            “It’s…well it’s very complicated, actually,” I stumbled. I still didn’t know what to tell him, the believed truth or the actual truth, or nothing at all.

            “It couldn’t be that complicated,” he chuckled.

            “It’s more complicated than you think, I can give you that one,” I replied.

            “Oh yeah? I think, that you and your hot friend are involved with the FBI or something,” he smirked.

            “I’m sorry what did you just call Kayla?” I questioned him as I ignored the FBI conspiracy theory.

            “Your hot friend,” he shrugged.

            “And here I am, thinking we were hitting it off, and now you’re hitting on my best friend,” I said as I shook my head back and forth. “And I thought you had changed.”

            “I have changed, she may be hot but you’re still the most beautiful thing I see,” he smirked. Almost immediately, a blush spread across my face.

            “I-uh-um-I’m not-you-I mean-agh! Why do you do this to me?”

            “Do what? What do I do to you Chastity?” he asked seductively as he leant closer to me. My breathing hitched and my heartbeat sped up. “Do I make you nervous?” he asked me.

            “Yes and just a bit uncomfortable,” I told him.

            “C’mon Chas, just a kiss,” he said. “One kiss and I promise to leave you alone until I move by you.”

            “You don’t understand Wyatt, you really don’t,” I sighed.

            “Then make me understand,” he shrugged. I shook my head at his ignorance.

            “Well, back home, there’s kind of this rumor that I have a boyfriend,” I started.

            “Okay, and?” Wyatt asked, his brow crinkled in confusion. “I don’t get it, it’s a rumor right?”

            “Well, the thing is…I kind of started,” I said, cringing slightly. “And my friend, Chase, well he went along with it. So now the entire school thinks we’re dating, and if we break up, then I have a creeper on my hands.”

            “Okay, you lost me,” he said with the most bewildered and confused look on his face.

            “I basically have a fake boyfriend, but like he’s a real person, and he’s playing along with it,” I tried to explain.