"She went off to college."

"What?" I shrieked. Disbelief, utter disbelief, that is all I felt. He had made that face for an absent mate. I exhaled out loudly. This boy was unbelievable.

"She was very smart as a child. Worked her ass off and went to college last year. Didn't even think about me. "

"And you don't like this?" I frowned. He should be proud that his mate was successful. Not every werewolf was fortunate to have a college graduate as their mate. Education was not very high on many pack's agenda.

"I love it. But she is being stubborn that she will become a doctor before she sets her foot here again. I haven't seen her since..." He flailed his hands wildly before releasing a breath, his shoulders hunching as he whispered,"forever."

I shrugged my shoulder, suddenly feeling out of depth. What should I say? Let her be? Demand her that she be back? I peeked a glance at him.

He was biting his lips looking at me, trying so hard not to laugh. I shoved his shoulders hard as I tried to get away from him. I had to hold myself from damaging his face permanently. A snort kind of sound escaped his mouth. But I knew exactly what it was-his laughter- that soon escaped his lips and he was rolling on the ground cackling like a mad man.

When he finally calmed down, he said,"You should have seen yourself. Goddess, you are so awkward. And ," more laughter followed before he continued breathlessly,"you were thinking of consoling me, weren't you? Best day ever."

Breathe in. Breathe out.

"Stay away from me, Nate." I warned him before I stormed off to find Rita. I needed to eat something and cool down.

"Come on. I was joking." I heard him shout but he knew better than to follow me.

First Alpha Cade then Beta Beth then Alpha Kyle and now Nate. This day sucked so far and it wasn't even noon.

I need to get out of here fast.

Knowing Rita, she probably was in the play school, playing with little pups. It was smack in the center of pack territory. I walked down the cliff and around to the front of pack house. As I walked further, I could hear the grunts of weres coming from the training ground.

Not just the pack house but the whole damn territory was strategically planned in Lunar Pack. The play school and the school both were both on either side of each other. The school ground was often used as a training ground. This ensured that some trained/training weres were always near the pups in case of an emergency. But the problem with this right now was that I had to pass the training ground to get to Rita. And from the noise that was beginning to feel like war cry meant Beta Beth was on the ground.

I rounded around a cottage and the training ground came into view. But today was something different, there were no pups. Only grown ass weres were training and Beta Beth was absent. I recognized Enforcer Tristan from afar. I watched him train with what I assumed were fellow enforcers. Stealthy was the only word that came to my mind as I saw him out maneuver his opponent.

Suddenly, his eyes were not on his opponent but on me. He looked back at the man he was sparring with, nodded and turned towards me. I groaned. I had only covered half the training ground. My mood was fouler than ever and I didn't want to make it any worse. Conversing with people always managed to do just that.

I quickened my steps but the enforcer had already reached me.

"You are not allowed to leave pack territory."

Let me guess, Alpha's order.

"I am not planning on leaving." Right now.

"May I escort you to wherever you intend on going?" His tone suggested that I didn't have a choice. But when did I ever go down without a fight.

"No, you may not."

"Please let me have the honour, Luna."

I stopped at this. This pack already started the Luna shit with me. First Nate and now this enforcer.

"Don't call me Luna," I hissed.

"What should I call you then? Avery."

I briefly looked at him, irritation clear in my eyes, and sped up. Name was the first step of let's-get-to-know-each-other-charadé. And I wanted to get out of Lunar Pack as fast as I could. Coming back wasn't even on my to-do list.

My to-do list was simple: Get Brandon and torture Alpha Blake till he dies.

When it was clear that I wasn't going to reply, the enforcer continued,"Look I know that you are angry about how you were treated in the beginning. But there is nothing we can do about it anymore. What's done is done." He shrugged.

I had this urge in me to feed his delusions. To make him believe that I was blowing my head off for this very fact. That only his Alpha's stupid actions were what was making me bitter. But I stopped myself. Something told me that Alpha Kyle had some role to play in this part. And I dare not cross the man who made me tuck my tails within 2 seconds of speaking to me.

The play school was a mere feet away when I turned to Enforcer Tristan and gave him a polite nod. "I will keep that in my mind when I next meet Alpha Cade."

"You don't have to address him by his title Avery, he is your mate."

"But he is the Alpha."

I saw Enforcer's straighten himself. His hackles rose and his eyes -Goddess he had grey eyes- harden.

His eyes pulled me right into him. A shade darker than mine's fucking grey. His were silver, bright shining silver.

What on earth is this? A sorcery? How can this happen?

The two greys were almost similar. And if I hadn't hated Alpha Cade's grey and obsessed over it at the same time I wouldn't have known the difference. A shiver ran down my spine.

"Thank you for the advice. I must leave now." I slipped away from him as fast as I could without letting him realize I was running away. I never once turned around to look at him despite the itch.

Rita was very easy to find. I just had to follow the sound of children's amused squeals. She was just too good with pups. She was like a ball of sunshine that everyone bathed in the light of. And she was pulling me in. I was dead scared that I would get burnt. But I was too weak to resist the pull she had on me.

She treated me like a child, always fussing over me. Giving me secretive smiles like she knew something that I didn't. Giving me a chance to relieve my good memories with my mother. But also acting as a constant reminder that Brandon was missing from the picture. Seeing her, enjoying her fussing over me, made my heart heavy with guilt. So much guilt. And still I couldn't shake off my need for her attention.

She smiled at me when she saw me come in. The pups immediately fell silent. The other two females who assisted Rita smiled at me through their canines. A warning to stay away from the pups. I felt an ache in my jaws. I so desperately wanted to return the favor.

Rita flexed a finger towards the door. She wanted me to wait outside the door. When I didn't comply, she just raised a brow at me. I found myself rushing out of the door. She reminded me so much of my mother.

She stepped out of the door after a few minutes, shutting it behind her.

"It took you longer today. What were they saying? To get rid of me."

She gave me a pointed stare. " Sadly, yes. But who could blame them."

"It was unintentional. I was having a nightmare."

"And that was her pup you were holding and crushing in your arms, not letting go. She is a mother, she is never going to sit back and watch her pup get injured."

I tasted acid in my mouth. Her words cut deep within me."I said I was sorry. I should never have fallen asleep around the pups in first place."

Rita sighed. "Give it time, Avery." Looking me up and down, she then frowned. "You didn't have breakfast. What am I going to do with you? Come on, let's head back to the pack house."

- -------------------------- --------
Vote, Comment and Share.

From the next chapter onward it is going to get serious with sprinkle of crazy. Hold tight, guys.