I Told You So (Stark x reader)

Comenzar desde el principio

But every time you tried to talk about it, either you were too nervous, the team would get called out, or he was too busy working on some new invention which would keep him tied up in the lab for days on end. It didn't keep you from continuing to meet up at any given time of the day, however, though you were just prolonging the inevitable conversation. Until something happened that couldn't put it off anymore.

"Steve, could you...I need you to..." you asked in a low mumble, "...would you come with me for a sec?"

Natasha gave Bruce a skeptical glance at your stammering and uncomfortable posture as you leaned on the door frame of the kitchen, waiting for Steve to agree with a face full of concern as he quickly followed you away.

"What do you know about that?" she asked quietly.

"Why would I know anything?" Bruce shrugged.

"Well, you're the only one sitting here, so who else am I gonna ask?"

"Valid point," he sighed, returning to the newspaper in his hands, "but still, I've got nothing."

She chewed at the inside of her lower lip as she replayed what she had just seen in her mind, running through scenarios and possibilities. After a moment, she cocked her head to the side and caught the final glance of Steve before you pushed him through a door at the end of the hallway. "They are so doing it," she smirked, pulling a section of paper from his grip. "I'm ashamed of myself for not seeing it sooner."

"Okay, now that you've got me shoved into a closet that I barely fit into, much less being jammed in here with you, what's so important that we have to hide?" Steve groaned, struggling to breathe in the tiny space.

You reached into your pocket and pulled out the long white stick with the bright plus sign at its center, holding it up so that he could get a clear look. "What the hell do I say to him, Steve?"

"Why are you asking me?!"

"Because you're the only one who knows about us, and now you're the only one who knows about this, so welcome to my hell."

~~~

When you finally worked up the courage to try to talk to Tony, the words felt wrong in your mouth and your voice felt as weak as you did. You were already a bundle of nerves with just a hint of nausea, scared of the reaction that he would give you. You wondered if maybe it was too soon, and you should wait a bit and take another test, but then it came to you; maybe you weren't feeling different about the relationship, you were feeling different because you were the one who was changing in so many ways. When it was time to finally tell him, of course you had no words; nothing made sense, and everything was coming out wrong.

"So, what, you're not having fun with this anymore?"

"That's not what I'm saying, Tony."

"Well, I'm sorry, sweetheart, but you're being a bit too cryptic for me. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm gonna need you to dumb it down."

"Maybe I don't know what I'm saying," you gave up, sighing with a defeated drop of your shoulders. "I don't know what's going on. My head is a mess, and just need time to think about everything. It's...it's a lot to deal with right now."

Suddenly, Tony looked like he was just slapped in the face, when this shift in your mood had come out of nowhere from his perspective. He took a precautionary step back, subconsciously already distancing himself from you; he had been through this conversation more times than he cared to admit, but he never thought that he'd hear it from you. "You have to think about me? Did I do something wrong?" he asked almost meekly. "You're breaking up with me, right?"