D A Y F O U R T E E N

Start from the beginning

"Not that I want to go on a date with her. Calypso is delirious," Gatsby tries to defend himself with a lie. I give him a look that tells him I don't buy it. He averts his gaze and ignores me.

Vanessa shrugs. "So this is the second movie I'm watching. Went through Mulan and I'm all good."

I nod. "...And Gatsby is here because?"

"Calypso needs proof that I didn't shed a tear at all," she motions to the camera, "It's creepy but Gatsby is a good popcorn bowl holder."

...For Gatsby's sake, I hope she loses this bet. The boy has been chasing her for a long while and she's too stubborn to admit to herself that she likes him. And he's too chicken to do anything about it.

But now isn't the time to play matchmaker. I wave at them both and walk out into the slightly dark morning as I make my way to the bakery.

I walk into the bakery and I spy Kenneth cleaning the counter. Mr. and Mrs. Hall are nowhere to be seen. They should really just give the bakery to Kenneth; they're hardly ever here these days!

"Hey Paulina," he waves at me and I wave in reply before walking to the cleaning supply closet to get the mop.

We work in relative silence; Kenneth busy with arranging the pastries while I mop the floors.

"Venus! I said no, don't you understand me?!" Damon walks into the shop and pauses when he sees me mopping. He gives me a sheepish grin and I return it just as Venus storms into the bakery.

I blink. Why does she look like the Rated R version of Sharpay Evans?

"Please Damon, please? I promise to leave you alone if you do this!" she pouts her perfect mouth at him and I roll my eyes.

"What's going on?" Kenneth raises an eyebrow at the scene in front of him. I shrug and wait for one of them to answer.

"Damon is just being a big baby. I told him I want to meet his mother soon, and he's telling me no and I don't know why!" Venus shrieks. She walks over to Kenneth in muddy pink heels, ruining my hard work. I clench my teeth.

If only maiming female dogs was a good thing...

"Because that's such a weird request. Who randomly wants to meet someone's mother?" Damon sends me a pleading look and I stifle a laugh as I turn away from him to put the mop back in its rightful place.

"Why would you want to meet his mother?" Kenneth sounds puzzled. At least he's speaking for us both.

"Duh. It's obvious that mothers help to knock some sense into their sons. She'll meet me and know that I'm the right choice for Damon and not some freaky starving Latina," she sends me a pointed glare and I roll my eyes as I wear my apron.

"Venus. Please. I'm not starving; I'm fasting. Plus how would you know what she'd think if she'd meet you? Maybe she doesn't like Regina George clones," I slap a smirk unto my face and she rolls her eyes.

Her expression is suddenly cold and her lips gloss over to something similar to a cross between a smirk and a sneer. "How would you know a true mother's choice? Didn't your mom die as soon as she gave birth to you?"

The silence is deafening as I stare at her with wide eyes and a broken heart. Kenneth steps back from her like he's shocked and from the corner of my eye, I can vaguely see Damon muttering curses and making his way towards Venus.

I gulp and avert my gaze to the ground before nodding. I make my way to the door, fists clenched. Damon grasps my hand. I shrug it off and walk out of the bakery.