What Is It With Him?

"next" the peon announced like a computerized voice with the same tone and decibel as we got off the stage while Fab5 walked on with their reckless attitude intact.
We sat amongst the crowd though i had no intentions to listen to him singing, but i had no choice.. The results were yet to come

Saari raat aahein bharta..
Pal pal yaadon mein marta
Maane na meri mann mera..

I looked at Manik while his eyes were busy roaming and scanning through the crowd.
This... This was why i did not want to listen to sing.. He wasn't good.. He was the best amongst all when it came to singing... His.. Urgh! Nobody on this earth, i bet, can resist drowning in this deep voice..

Thode thode hosh madhoshi si hai
Neend behoshein si hai
Jaane kuch bhi na mann mera..
Kabhi mera tha par ab begaana hai yeh
Deewana deewana sumjhe na ho..

I gaped at him unblinking.. Until his eyes met mine and stopped right there.. I felt like a desperate fan gawking at her favourite rockstar. I looked away trying not to make it too obvious to him.

Kabhi chup chup rahe kabhi gaaya ye kare
Bin pooche tere tarifen sunaya ye karen
Hai koi haqeeqat tu ya koi fasana hai..
Kuch jaane agar toh itna ki yeh tera deewana hai
Hai re mann meraa.. maane na mann meraa..

A few stolen glances and i knew he was staring at me continuously but... Why? His girlfriend stands right next him and he is looking at me... Urghh!

Rag rag woh samaya mere..
Dil par woh chaaya mere
Mujh mein woh aise jaise jaan...
Gire barsaat mai paani jaise
Koi kahaani jaise..
Dil se ho dil tak jo bayaan..

His voice suddenly sounded defiant and thus finally mustering some courage i looked to find him ball dancing with Alya keeping his guitar aside.
Has he forgotten.. It still just the auditions..

Aashiq dil tera purana hai yeh
Deewana deewana samjhe na ho..

Kabhi chup chup rahe kabhi gaaya ye kare
Bin pooche tere tarifen sunaya ye karen..
Hai koi haqeeqat tu ya koi fasana hai..
Kuch jaane agar toh itna ki yeh tera deewana hai..
Hai re mann meraa.. maane na mann meraa..

I wanted to run a way from there but i was helpless.. We weren't allowed to move out before the results were announced.

Tujhko jo dekhe yeh mujhko leke..
Bas tere peeche peeche bhaage..
Tera junoon hai tu hi sukoon hai..
Tujhse hi bandhein dil ke dhaage..
Hai re mann meraa.. maane na mann meraa...

And finally his song ended and a wave of relief passed through me. Though the room still suffocated me with his melodious voice still recurring in my ears but this was much more relaxing than listening to him live.
I had by now understood that along with his high notes, high, went my heart beats whenever he stole glances at me just at the crucial moments. He looked at me at moments when his lyrics said things that i couldn't decipher, were his feelings or just the lyrics of some random song.
You're imagining! My brain told me and this time i couldn't help but agree.
All of them walked off the stage smirking at all the other contestants as Ustaad ji went on stage.
"aap sabhi ne kaafi achha gya.. Bhot achha toh hum nhi kahenge.. Par bura bhi nhi tha.."he started and took around 15 names if teams and performers and i chuckled sarcastically to have thought that he would ever get impressed by me.
'But we couldn't lose like this.. He cannot be partial among students..'my broken heart nudged and i felt tears welling up in my eyes.
"humari agli team hai Harshad ka group.."he announced the sixteenth team.
"aur 17th team hai iss pure college ki jaan aur shaan Fab5.."he continued followed by two more teams and i lost all hopes to be selected.
"aur humari aakhri team unki hai jinhone aaj apna best perform kiya.. Aur manna padega sabse achha perform kiya.."he paused and i looked down closing my eyes trying to get his voice out of my head.
"humari aakhri team hai.. Nandini Murthy ki team!"he announced but i wasn't surprised. Why? Because I didn't hear what he said. I wasn't paying attention.
"Nandu!"i suddenly heard Navya squeal beside me and i looked at her with a now-what expression.
"hum select ho gye.."she danced on her seat.
"i.. Wait what? We got selected.."i almost screamed out of shock.
....
My way out of the college felt like walking on clouds. I felt relaxed. I was happy that we were selected and especially Ustaad Mukesh Sethiya himself said that we had sung better than all of the others.
I was all lost when i heard a honking beside me but being in the best of my moods i decided to ignore whosoever was trying to irritate me.
The honkings continued till i finally got pissed of turned to the side of the stupid car.
"planning to go home walking. Do you?"Manik said peeking from the window of the passenger seat where Alya sat royally like it was some queen's throne.
Nandini! Chillax.. You're happy and he is a fly to your tea..
I reminded myself and smiled back at him.
"yaah.. A walk to remember!"i said sarcastically.
"alone.. Need some company?"he asked while his hand searched for something in his pocket.
"no thanks!"i said and he fished out something from his pocket shoving it up at me.
"here take this you'll need it if you're planning a walk to remember!"he handed me... A phone?... My phone..
Crap..it was with him since morning!
"thanks!"i said snatching it from him and walking down but how could he let me have peace.
"are you sure about this walk to remember..."he said as his car stopped again beside me.
"ofcourse mr. Husband.. You need not worry about me.. Please continue with your work.. I have alot of people to give me company.."i said stiffening my tone.
Now i was definitely sure i wasn't going with him though for the first time i could see Alya not liking my idea of not accompanying them. I felt something strange in her today. She seemed distracted.
"fine then.. Have your company.. Do reach home before dinner.. And don't make me hunt for you while I'm starving already!"he said and i felt that it was utmost rude of him.
"even if i get lost I'll prefer staying lost than to get back to you!"i said and that was it for Alya.
"guyz.. Why are you fighting like kids.. I can't believe it.. Tum logo ki shaadi ho chuki hai.. Thorhe toh bade ho jao.. Ladte kyu rehte ho.. Grow up and stop fighting on each and every thing.."she said irritatedly silencing as well as shocking both of us.
"atleast behave like a married couple.. Ghar pe nhi toh bahar toh... Please!"she said looking at us.
What the... She wanted us to behave like a married couple.. Wow! Aiyappa.. What are you upto!
"Alya relax.. I guess you're tired.. I'll just get you home!"he said and accelerated the car and drove past me leaving me alone there.
Isn't this exactly what i wanted?
I walked down with mixed emotions not knowing what to do and how to deal with my own self.