Marriage? A Curse!

What was i even doing here! In this room on his bed in this attire. This bloody bridal attire. Like every other girl even i had this big a dream that one fine day I'll get married to someone i love but that didn't include only me loving alone. And if he didn't love me, let alone love, if he felt sheer nothing for me then was i here. Why had i been a part of those rituals that were forced on me. Why?
I loved him.. Loved him more than anything and this wasn't some crush kind but a kind that you feel at a very young age. I had felt that for him fifteen years back when i was seven and the feelings remained the same until two days back. Until he came up with this obnoxious idea if him getting married to me just to give a closure to the two family businesses.
Why Manik? Why me? I wanted to cry out hard but he wasn't entirely at fault even i had agreed to whatever he had said like a love struck puppy. I wasn't only struck by his love but my family's. I couldn't let amma appa down, they had always given me what i wanted, from my silliest demand to important needs, how could i not fulfill this need of theirs after this merging of Murthys and Malhotras was important and they wanted it to look like more of rishtedaris.
Even i was happy about all this marriage and stuff till the night before yesterday's when Manik came to me, his childhood Bestfriend, to explain what he actually meant about this marriage.
"Nandu! I want to tell you something really important!"he had barged into my room when i was working on an important presentation. I kept my laptop aside and was all ears to him hoping to hear the three words i had always longed to hear from him..
"Nandini!actually I'm sorry! This marriage and all it happened so suddenly ki even you had to say yes without giving it a thought but i promise you this marriage is a contracted marriage that it terms for only a year!"he had said and my smile had faded away. Contracted marriage?
"and after a year you'll be free.. Not that you won't be after we get married matlab! It's like.. It's a marriage for people but we know the inside story! And one more thing that I've been trying to tell you since so long!"he had said his happiness jumping out if his eyes but what about me? My world had stopped right on the two words contracted marriage.
"i finally proposed Alya! And she said yes! After one year of our fake marriage I'll get married to her!"he said excitedly taking me in a side hug but i was numb.
"i promise you Nandu this marriage and all it will change nothing between us.. We'll remains Bestfriends forever" really? But things had already changed Manik and you've no idea!
He was happy afterall he found his love. The stud of the college proposed to the diva of the college and the college found another gossip. The stud married the second most beautiful girl in the college and the college found its rumours. I was always a second choice for everyone and today even my parents made me feel the same. Their business was more important to them and therefore i was again secondary.
I've been waiting for my so called husband to come while the fact is that i very well know he won't come. He must be having fun with 'his Bestfriends' and his girlfriend.  Amongst all of this one thing that had changed drastically were my feelings. There is nothing left in me except for the Budding hatred for him, his family, my family, and for every other reason because of which today i sit here wiping my tears so that nobody knows.
"huh! Cmon Nandini.. You're not a cry baby! You're Nandini Murthy.. You're not crying anymore.. Get up and do what you've always loved to.. Feel free.. Its a contracted marriage! Its fake.. You're still independent!"i finally remind myself getting up from the bed.
I ruthlessly pulled out the red chunni that covered my head. Tonight, the first night of my marriage, i wanted to remove everything that reminded me that i was his wife. I wanted to put all the things away that claimed me as his wife. I wasn't Nandini Malhotra.. I'm still Nandini Murthy. Why did he have to do this if he felt nothing for me?
I removed the maang tika and rubbed off the red vermillion from my forehead. I took all the bangles of the suhaag ka chuda off my wrists and locked them in the drawyer. Never open this pit of your dark memories.
I took a pair of my shorts and my favorite teddy bear tee and went to the washroom to change. I had made sure to not leave a single jewel on my body! Nothing!
As i came out of the washroom the only things that i was still wearing was the mangalsutra and the mehndi that had Manik's name written. I couldn't remove the mehndi though but i pulled out that meaningless peice of thread out of my neck. Light!
I gasped for some air and took my laptop and seated myself on the couch. I still had to prepare my presentation that had gone on a hold because of this crap. Seriously marriages were curses! Mine was a tragedy..
This marriage had managed to get the worst out of me that even i didn't know i possessed. I always had this sweet nature, forgiving one, i was the best example of a carefree sweet girl who never spoke harsh words but this nonsense contract had gotten the worst out of the best.
Why was i always the one to compromise and let go! I still remember the first day when i had joined his college.
Being a fresher i had no idea of where to go but also being the most independent girl i did not care to ask any of the people around especially boys who were very much ready to help any girl.
I marched in finding my way through corridors of that massive building when I bumped into a someone.
"ouch!"she had screamed as if i jad stabbed her with a knife. I lpoked up at her and she had that disgusted expression that irritated me the most. "can't you bloody watch your steps!" she scowled at me and i looked at her with squinted eyes. Okay I agree i was admiring the college but even she was busy smiling into her phone.
"I'm sorry!"i said genuinely out casting the fact that i wasn't the only one responsible.
"you're sorry? You really think you're sorry! Huh! Bloody freshers! Do you think you can mend my broken heel with that sorry of yours??"i didn't really understand what was up with her. I never really could. It was since always that she looks at me with those expressions like i stole her boyfriend while the fact was opposite. Even today she hates me like anything but Nandini Murthy doesn't care.
"listen i said sorry! Why are you hyperventilating?"i asked clutching my little sling that i had worn on my cute baby pink floral frock.
"I'm getting hyper! Wow!"she screamed and that was when a group of four people marched towards us emerging from the dark. I could see slight figures. Two guys of average height, a guy as tall as a light pole, like Manik, the other... A girl.. But not really a girl, she walked like... I don't know..
I looked down to control my temper and tried resisting myself from punching the girl for her nonsensical talks.
"hey Al!"i heard his voice.. His voice.. Manik?
I looked up and yes how could I mistake his voice. The four came and stood by the girl with him right next to her.
"dekho na guys.. This girl.. firstly she bumps into me breaks my heel and is now arguing with me!"i looked at her dumbfounded. Arguing? I just said sorry! Wow people here!
Manik turned to my side quite angrily but just as he looked at me his expressions softened.
"it might be a mistake!"he said looking back at her. I was happy that he had taken his Bestfriend's side but little did i know.. I was his best friend only when he had no one around.
"listen say sorry to her!"Manik complied in a stern voice.
"i already did.. Like thrice in all this while!"i said my tone defensive enough.
"see she is again arguing!"that girl started and i had begun to loose my patience.
"ek minute Alya! Let me! Dekho sorry bol do nhi toh you will have a difficult life ahead in this college! As it is you're just a fresher and we're your seniors!"the girl who was more like a tomboy spoke.
"Mukti!"Manik said showing his hand to her. She backed off. Wow!
"i know you must've said sorry! I trust you!"he had said softly coming closer. "but galti toh hui hai na ek baar aur boldo! Please! Mere liye!" he continued and i looked at him bewildered.
"but I've already said that.. And you guyz are talking as if tumhari koi galti hi nhi thi!"my patience had taken a toll and i spoke angrily pointing at Alya, the girl he currently claims to love, a member of his Fab5,his Bestfriends.
"meri galti really?"Alya snapped back and this time everyone including Manik had an angry expression. I care?
" jab aankhe aur dimaag phone mein hoga toh saamne se truck bhi aa rha hoga toh bhi nhi dikhega!"i said.
"tum! Truck ke liye thorhi chhoti nai ho!"one of the average heighted guyz spoke and the other chuckled.
"Cabir! Shut up.."Mukti had glared at him.
" dekho! Sorry boldo!"Manik said from beside me and then his tone softened. "Mamdu please!" he made a cute face turning Completely towards me so that his friends didn't see. Amd duh i was bowled out.
"I'm sorry!"i said looking back at her. All of the others were shocked at my sudden change of statement except for Manik and Alya. She was giving me Victorious smiles and once again i had given up for Manik.
I hate the fact that i always gave in to him because of which he started taking me for granted but not any more.