A New Story

Nandini:

I walked around in the gown, twirling every third minute, because it just felt so good. In every sense. It felt like I was free. Free from the burden of my emotions. Hearing Manik talk about it all, understanding him, telling him what I went through, it felt like the closure I didn't know I needed. When our conversation ended in the evening and I told him I needed to think about it, I knew what and where I was headed to. I did not need to think. There was nothing to think about. This story, the story of two best friends falling into a marriage had ended and for good. I'd put it behind just as soon as our conversation ended. From there on I knew I had no place for my past to stay around and this, today, was going to be a fresh start. If Manik was really who I'm supposed to be with, we'll find each other again.
Before getting dressed I'd stopped by Manik's room and left a note for him while he was busy taking a shower. I bet he was anxious about my answer and my note must have been a surprise for him but I'm sure that even he must have felt the feeling of freedom. The one where he is not under pressure of having lost someone he thought was gone forever. My note I knew was nothing but a hope for him as it went something like:
"Manik,

It's been a year, kaafi kuch badal gaya hai,mai badal gayi hu, tum badal gaye ho.. and I know tum mere jawab ka wait kar rahe ho.. tum jaanna chahte ho ki hum kaha ek dusre ki life mei kaha stand karte hai... Par mai nahi jaanna chahti ki mai uss Manik ki life mei aaj kaha stand karti hu jisse mai ek saal pehle chorh ke gayi thi... I might've loved that Manik but he was very wrong and very toxic for me... Lekin tum... Manik.. you are a different person. A person I don't know at all.. a person who is different from the one he was a year ago.. aaj tumne mujhse kaha ki tumhari priority humesha Medha hi rahegi.. for whatever reasons Manik.. and this is changed Manik.. you're living for someone else.. ek saal purana Manik agar aaj mere saamne khada hota toh vo sab kuch mere liye chodh deta.. agar usse realise ho gaya tha ki usse meri zarurat hai toh vo kuch bhi karta to keep me with himself... But tumne mujhe choice diya... So I've made my choice Manik.. I don't want you.. I don't want any of this.. I want to live a normal life.. forget everything that happened before, although we both know we can't forget whatever happened but we can move on.. I want to move on.. I'm hoping you would understand what I'm trying to say..
I want to start afresh, with a new person, a person who's absolutely differ from the Manik I left behind a year ago... Manik you're a different person from who I left behind... I want us to start fresh.. I want to get to know the new you.. I want to understand you the way you are right now, a single father of a little girl.. I don't want anything of the past.. an absolutely blank page... Where you don't try to win me "Back"... I just want a new beginning with this new person that you've become, a businessman, I don't want you to set things up for me to see them the way you want me to see them... No more games.. a fresh start.. like strangers.. i want to start a new life.. and let things fall into place... If we're meant to fall in love, we will but right now.. I'm not in love with the new you, and I don't intend to.. I just want to move on to a better life with and as a better person who has a life beyond himself, his love, his life, his best friends.. if you agree to this then Tonight I hope Nandini Murthy from New York gets to meet The Manik Malhotra, a passionate businessman for the first time at her friends wedding function!

Nandini"

As I walked out of the room in an A-line midnight blue dress he had brought for me, I gave myself one last look in the mirror. It was a gowm with a slit on the left leg that started above the thighs and a golden belt on the waist to define my body's curves. As I admired the dress I wondered how he still knew my size so accurately that it fit just right. Not even an inch smaller or bigger.

I walked out of the room and walked straight to the hall where the cocktail party was being held

I could feel all the eyes turning and staring at me, oggling mostly. My insides burned with all the attention. I maybe a new Nandini for him but my confidence was still the same, alittle low when it came to public attention. I looked around nervously, my hands sweating as I clutched my phone tighter. I walked in my ice blue pencil heels, hoping and wishing to aiyappa that I don't trip over out of nervousness. I took small steps to keep myself from falling as I looked for a secluded spot. I wanted to text Navya and ask her where she was but before I could my eyes stuck to a huge figure in another one of a secluded spot. A tall guy, with his back towards me, stood leaning against the stage. From his posture it became quite evident how disinterested he was in the girls who were intentionally dancing around him trying to catch his attention. A small smile played on my lips as I saw a hint of arrogance in his body language. The one that openly screamed a 'leave alone' to the girls attempting to throw themselves at him. He would momentarily look up and around as if waiting for someone and then nod his head in a no and look down again, maybe at his phone.
I watched Manik do that for probably quite sometime because when I finally realised that I was staring at him I was already surrounded by Fab 5 and Navya. Manik still was oblivious of any of us, since he was still facing the other side.
"Nandu... Kitni sundar lag rahi ho.."Navya exclaimed as I blushed alittle remembering how I'd actually imagined him looking at me in this dress when I was getting ready. And I know I sound like a hypocrite because it was me who told him to be strangers but this dress just made me think about his reaction to it.
"Thankyou Navya.. Navya mujhe tumse kuch baat karni hai.. please chalo na.."I said making a serious face and I could see her face fall. I was sure she was actually tired of manik and my dramas and stories but she was a best friend and she would never openly tell me to shut up.
"Abhi?"she asked and I nodded.
"Chalo..."she agreed as I dragged her out of the hall.
"Bolo.." she said once we reached a safe and empty spot outside the party hall."Navya I know maine... Aur Manik.. hum dono me tumhe bhot pareshaan kiya hai.." she tried to deny but I stopped her.
"No Navya I know.. but I promise aaj sab khatam.." I said and she looked at me wide eyed. She was definitely not expecting that. Her face said that she was dreading whatever came next. Little did she know that I had other plans.
"Navya, maine aur Manik ne baat ki aaj.. sab clear ho gaya... Ab humare beech purana kuch nai bacha.. aaj hum vo sab khatam karke aage badh rahe hai.. aur usme hume tumhari.. tum sabki help chahiye..."I added as she still looked apprehensive. She couldn't process any of it.
Nandu tum kya kehna chahti ho.. tum aur Manik.."I interrupted her before she could go on.
"Hum aage badhna chahte.. pichla sab bhula ke.. ek nayi shuruaat karna chahte hai.."I paused as I saw her face, terrified of whatever I was saying. I might sound like a sadist but I was enjoying the horror of the thought that Manik and I were taking a seperation, on her face.
"Ek dusre ko ek dusra mauka dena chahte.."I paused again as her expressions changed from horrified to shocked to surprised to confused. She looked adorable.
"Lekin Husband wife ya purane Manik Nandini ki tarah nai... Balki strangers ki tarah.. do strangers jo aaj pehli baar apni dost ki shaadi ke function mei milege.. ek Mumbai businessman, ek New York return.... strangers..."I explained and she looked even more confused. I narrated the whole day to her from Manik and my conversation to my letter to him, all of it. Finally when she understood, Navya hugged me tighter than she'd ever done. Even her hope was reborn with this plan of mine and I could see a spark of happiness in her eyes as she agreed to help us. She agreed to talk to Fab 4 about it and we walked back into the hall to everyone.