Chapter 16: The time starts now

Peeta

Yesterday was something we all needed. A much deserved break after the chaotic days before of the interview.  It was a pleasant pause on our lives. Unfortunately, life cannot remain on pause forever. 

I carefully attempt to roll out of bed without disturbing a rarely sound-asleep Katniss. Last night she had two night terrors, both about Prim. Fortunately, I managed to calm her. I look across the room at the alarm clock, noticing that it is only 6am. Baker's hours. They taught me to be up early in the morning to make the food. That's one habit I'll never be able to break.

I tiptoe out of the bedroom and downstairs. I immediately go to turn on the heater down stairs. The cold weather of February is rather unforgiving.

As I feel the house gradually warm up, I go to the kitchen to start baking and cooking breakfast.

I decide on making cheese buns and gingerbread for a change. I knead out the dough of both of the goods and prep them for the oven. The smell of ginger and sweet cheese waft through the air as I place the 2 baking trays in the oven. Nobody else is up yet, which is quite surprising considering the amount of noise one can make while baking.

Now, what will we have for breakfast, I wonder to myself as I set the timer on the oven. I spot some fresh eggs and milk. Perfect for crepes.

I'm actually not sure that Katniss has ever had crepes before. They are thin, large pancakes which you can fill with various toppings. My personal favourite is the cheese filling from the cheese buns. Knowing Katniss, I make some chocolate and caramel fondants so everyone has something they like.

I hear footsteps coming down the stairs. I peer around the corner of the kitchen to see who it is. A sleepy Johanna emerges.

"Morning Bread boy," she starts, sleepily.

"Good morning." I reply back.

"The only thing making this morning good is the smell of what's cooking in this kitchen." she remarks, as we hear Annie's voice from the top of the stairs.

"I'll go and get her." I say, putting down the spoon that I was using to stir a pot of hot filling.

"No, you stay here and cook. I'll go and get Annie."

"Thanks." I reply with a small smile and turn to flip the last crepe.

As soon as I have finished with the crepes, the timer for the cheese buns and gingerbread go off. I quickly take the baking trays from the oven and put everything away to cool.

Soon after, Katniss comes downstairs.

"Good morning," I say as I see her approach the kitchen.

"Morning Peeta," She replies as she rubs her eyes.

"Did you sleep well?" I ask as I put the breakfast food in dishes.

"Okay. What's that smell?" She asks, still groggy.

"Food you haven't had before." I reply, a smug smile on my face. 

"Can I taste it now?" She asks.

"Wait till breakfast." I say with a small smile, and peck her cheek.

"In that case, I'll set the table." She mumbles as she grabs cutlery and crockery out of the cupboard.

Katniss

We are all eating Peeta's delicious crepes. He is right, I've never had them before and they are really good, not to mention ever so slightly addictive.

I begin to clean up the dishes from breakfast. Annie and Johanna are watching some movies together and my mother is embroidering some pretty flowers on a blanket. I look closer and I see that she is embroidering primroses on the blanket. I give her a small smile as she looks up at me from the couch.

The phone rings and I go to answer. A high pitched voice indicates to me that it is Effie, who is still in District 12, staying with Haymitch.

"Hello Katniss dear, I'm just checking in with you as I didn't see you or your guests yesterday." she says with her cheery voice.

"Everything is just fine over here. We were watching movies yesterday and my mother has come to visit and is keeping an eye on Annie." I reply.

"Has everybody got plans for the day?" She inquires.

"Everyone but Peeta and I. I figured we could do some of the wedding planning." I reply.

"That is an excellent idea. I will be over in an hour to help." She says.

"Thank you Effie." I say as I hear the call end.

I feel Peeta's arms snake around my waist from behind me.

"Who was that?" He asks, quietly.

"Just Effie, who has now appointed herself our wedding planner." I reply, slightly bemused.

"I saw that coming." He replies as he nuzzles my jawline.

 "I just don't want it to be to capitol. I want it to be simpler than she will." I say.

"We don't have to do it her way. Remember, it is after all, our wedding." He says to me with a warm smile.

I look up into his big blue eyes and hold my engagement ring on my finger. I really question how I go so lucky. Haymitch will always be right. I could live more than 100 lifetime and still never deserve this boy.

"Let's go upstairs and get dressed before Effie gets here," He says as he picks me up, and carries me to our bedroom.

I throw on a long sleeve navy blue and grey striped shirt that could be mistaken for a dress, with some black tights and a pair of grey lambskin boots with a fluffy wool lining. Cinna said that these are like slippers which you can go outside in because they have a durable sole. They are very comfortable.

Peeta soon comes out from the bathroom in a soft green ribbed shirt with a black sweater and grey pants.

"We better get down there before Hurricane Effie the wedding planner arrives." He says to me, jokingly, as he holds me in a warm embrace before we leave our room, the only place we have had privacy lately.

And now the fun begins.....

Authors note:

I have to give a huge thank you to all you guys who have stayed by me and read my book and waited patiently for the next update. I'm very sorry for the delay. I had originally written this chapter the same day as the previous update, but I reread it to edit and discovered it had pretty much no content. I didn't want to leave you guys with yet another filler chapter.

Thank you all so much for 500 views!!!!

Thank you to you guys who have read all of this and respond in the comments.

I will try my best to post the next chapter as soon as I finish it.

Xx, Avi.