Chapter 14: The nightmare that was nearly reality

Katniss

I wake up in the early hours of the morning; I realise I can hear whimpering and crying. I look next to me to check it isn't Peeta. I get out of bed to investigate. Peeta, who is sleeping soundly beside me doesn't even flinch when I remove my body weight from the mattress.

I walk past the 2 rooms the prep teams are staying in; they are all sound asleep. I walk past Johanna's room; the door is open but she isn't there.

Annie.

I eventually reach her room as I run there, anticipating the worst. As I walk in, I'm greeted by a Johanna, who is comforting a whimpering and teary Annie.

"Did you have a night terror?" I ask, sensitively. I don't personally like to talk about my nightmares with anyone except Peeta. I don't know if she will say anything to Johanna or I.

"I heard her crying... So I came in to investigate. I woke her up. She's a bit traumatised, that's all, I think." Johanna says, rather sensitively. I think she has turned over a new leaf for Annie, since she pretty much looks after her. I think she does it for Finnick really, because I know she used to think Annie was crazy.

Annie finally comes out of her traumatised state and looks up at us.

"You didn't have to come, you know." She says, quietly.

"It's okay Annie. We are all okay." Says Johanna softly as she rubs Annie's back gently.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ask, cautiously.

She responds with a nod.

"I was being interrogated by the Capitol about the rebels..... Again. But this time they were torturing me harder than they were before. Then Snow came out and said that I would never be allowed to be with Finnick and..." She says as her eyes crystal over with tears, threatening to spill at any moment.

"Then he said that if he ever got hold of the Rebels he'd line you up and kill you with the same bullet, lined up. Katniss, then Finnick, so on and so forth..." She continues, curling up into a ball.

Johanna and I wait patiently for her to finish.

"Because we all defied what victors were supposed to be - because we were more than his slaves. I said that if he did that I would kill myself. Then little Noah started kicking me so I woke up." She concludes

"I wonder whether that was his daddy's doing." I say softly.

"You can only hope so." Johanna replies.

"Do you want me to get you a cup of tea or something, Annie?" I ask.

"Yes please. Actually, I'm a bit hungry. Would you mind if I had some toast or something? I can make it myself." She replies, sincerely.

"No need. I'll take care of it." I reply.

"Can I at least come downstairs?" She asks.

"We'll all go. It's already 6:30am, there is no point in going back to sleep." Says Johanna as she gets up.

Johanna and I start helping Annie to the door, and I can't help but notice that she is quite dizzy.

"Johanna, I think I'll go wake up Peeta to take her downstairs." I say quietly.

"No, please don't." Annie says with guilt in her eyes.

"I'll carry her myself." Johanna says.

Strangely, Johanna is remarkably strong. Then I remember  the whole axe thing and feel incredibly stupid for not remembering.

Johanna easily takes the small framed Annie down the stairs and puts her on the couch. I get her some pillows and a blanket. The February cold makes me turn the house heating up a bit.