Chapter 3 : Old Friends and De Ja Vu

Katniss, for the first time in what felt like an eternity, woke up in her own warm bed. She turned over to embrace Peeta, but he wasn't there. She panicked. She quickly jumped out of bed and ran downstairs. She found him in the kitchen, making breakfast.
"What's cooking?" asked Katniss.
"Toast and eggs." replied Peeta as he sliced the bread he made the night before.
"The same as the first meal we had with Haymitch and Effie." Said Katniss as she laughed a little.
"Remember this?" asked Peeta as he stabbed a bread knife into the bench.
"That is mahogany!" said Katniss, imitating Effie Trinket, in the way that she scolded Katniss on the train to the Capitol for her first games. They both laughed and genuinely smiled for the first time since they arrived back home. There was a knock at the door. Katniss opened it. It was Haymitch.
"You better keep that. She knows what she's doing." said Haymitch, jokingly.
"Memories, memories." said Effie as she followed Haymitch into the door.
"Staying for breakfast?" asked Peeta.
"Sure." replied Haymitch.
Peeta cooked some extra breakfast. Katniss sat with Haymitch and Effie at her mahogany dining room table.
"How is Peeta? Is he recovering?" asked Haymitch, cautiously.
"Yes. He hasn't attacked me since we were invading the Capitol." replied Katniss quietly.
"Do you love him?" asked Effie, quietly.
"I think I do." replied Katniss.
"What kind of answer is that? You either love him or you don't." stated Haymitch
"It's not that simple." replied Katniss, tersely.
"Woah, woah, sweetheart. You want to know something?" started Haymitch in a dangerously low voice.
"You could live 100 lifetimes and never deserve that boy." continued Haymitch, still in his dangerous voice.
"Haymitch!" scolded Effie.
"I know." said Katniss weakly as she got out of her chair and ran off.
"Katniss," said Effie.
Peeta came in the room. "Is everything ok? Where's Katniss?" asked Peeta.
"She ran off after Haymitch taunted her." replied Effie.
"She'll be back. Don't worry Peeta." said Haymitch.
"Out of pure interest, how much have you had to drink this morning?" asked Peeta.
"Too much clearly." replied Effie.
"On another topic, how has Katniss been?" asked Haymitch.
"Quiet." said Peeta
"That's unlike our sweetheart." said Haymitch.
"Haymitch!" said Effie, scolding him again.
"We should really get you off the alcohol at this hour." replied Effie.
"Nah I'm just enjoying what I got from the Capitol." said Haymitch, jokingly.
"I'm going after Katniss." started Peeta.
Peeta promptly went up to her room and pulled out the pearl and the spile. Something she held close to her heart and something that saved her. 2 things Peeta was. She didn't deserve him. The worst part was that she knew it.

Peeta ran upstairs and found her curled up in a ball on her bed. She was holding the spile and the pearl.
"Hey, hey, Katniss, what happened?" Asked Peeta as he put an arm around her.
"Haymitch reminded me that I don't deserve a boy like you." Said Katniss as she curled up tighter.
"That's not true. I love you."
"But I don't deserve you. You are perfect. Everyone loves you."
"You are my fire. You are my mockingjay. You are my saviour."
"You saved me too."
"We saved eachother."
"I can't face Haymitch."
"I have an idea."
Peeta proceeded to pick Katniss up, kiss her on the lips, and carry her down the stairs.
"Oh my, look what we have here." Said Haymitch as he saw Peeta carrying Katniss. He proceeded to kiss her again infront of Haymitch and Effie just to put the icing on the shock factor cake. Effie had an expression of utter surprise on her face.
"You always were the strong one," remarked Effie.
Peeta sat down with Katniss in his lap.
"Gonna share a seat are you?" asked Haymitch, jokingly.
"Why not?" said Peeta.
Peeta proceeded to put Katniss down in the chair next to him.
"Star crossed lovers...... God, we were right." mumbled Haymitch.
They all ate breakfast together, making small talk about the Capitol.
"You do realise that we are the only people in district 12 right now?" Said Katniss.
"Well, I decided that Haymitch needed to get away from the Capitol and so did I." said Effie.
"Or Haymitch needed to be taken away from the alcohol supply." remarked Peeta.
"That sounds about right." said Katniss.
Peeta felt Katniss put her hand on his leg under the table and squeezed it. He took her hand in his and held it. The finished breakfast. They both got up to clear the table while Haymitch and Effie stayed put. Katniss and Peeta cleaned up in the kitchen. They could hear Effie telling Haymitch off for drinking so much. As soon as they were done, Katniss hugged Peeta. Peeta put his hands on her hips and began to make out with her. In that moment, nothing else mattered to them. They kept on until they noticed that Effie and Haymitch were standing right behind the kitchen counter.
"I hope this wasn't a bad time..." said Effie as she smiled, widely.
"Get a room.... Not that hard." said Haymitch.
Peeta and Katniss took a break from their make out session and smiled.
"How long have you been standing there?" asked Katniss, curiously.
"More than 5 minutes." replied Effie.
"You enjoy breakfast?" asked Peeta.
"Of course." replied Effie, politely.
"Lover boy knows how to bake, not gonna lie." said Haymitch.
"Anyway, the real reason we came here. Caesar Flickerman miraculously survived the rebellion." said Effie
"I would have thought that he would be a prime rebel target." replied Peeta
"So did we. But somehow he did. He is going around the districts and interviewing the surviving victors." said Effie
"So he is coming to interview us?" asked Katniss.
"Yes. And he is coming here at the end of the week. Next Sunday. Today is Monday, and your prep team will be here Tuesday to get things ready." said Effie
"Why so early?" asked Katniss
"Because they are doing photos before in the week, and they need to make you a dress, Peeta a suit, deal with Haymitch, so on and so forth."
"Deal with me?" he asks quizzically.
"Yes, deal with you." she replied, sternly.
"We better be going. Need to clean your house up, Haymitch."
"Don't need to do nothing to my house."
"Yes we do." said Effie
"Thanks for letting us know anyway." said Katniss as Effie dragged Haymitch out the door.
"Finally alone." said Peeta as he swept Katniss into his arms.
"Together?" asked Katniss
"Always." replied Peeta. He carried her up the stairs and put her on her bed.

Author's note
I haven't had a chance to properly edit this chapter yet. I hope you guys are enjoying this fanfic and comment and vote on this chapter. I wouldn't be surprised if I edit this later again. I also won't be on for the next few days so chapter 4 will be up probably by the end of the week. Thanks for reading!
Xx , Avi