Chapter 15: For the love of warmth

Peeta

The first movie which Johanna put on has finished, and Katniss is still curled up with her head in my lap. I look down at her sleeping head, her soft hair flowing behind her. I realise how lucky I am to be here.

It's still sinking in that she agreed to marry me; not for cameras, not for Snow, not for Plutarch; not for anyone other than us. A future and happiness that is finally ours.

Katniss stirs and looks up at me.

"What time is it, Peeta?" She asks me.

"10am," I reply.

Katniss' eyes widen in my response. She jumps up and off of me, rushing upstairs. I am left completely confused.

Katniss

Just as we were all comfortable after the first movie, I realise the time. My mother is arriving in 45 minutes. I rustle through my closet, looking for some warm and appropriate clothes. I settle for a long sleeved dark green sweater dress, some tights underneath and these shoes Cinna got me that are lace up black boots with heels. I grab a dark green coat out of my closet as it is still cold outside. I throw my hair into a half up half down braid, and put on this lip stuff in a tube that makes my lips feel soft. I grab a little leather bag that looks like a game bag but has little pockets and is a burgundy hue. I throw in my car keys for the little car Plutarch gave me that I learned to drive when I was in the Capitol after the war. I grab my house keys, phone and my little money card which has my Victor's salary on it which they use for money in the Capitol, now the entire of Panem. I grab my bag and run downstairs. I see a very confused looking Peeta in the living room.

"Where are you going, Katniss?" Asks Peeta.

"Train station, going to pick up my mother." I reply in haste.

"Is she coming to visit?" He asks, puzzled.

"I called her. Annie needs a doctor, and I got her to come because I know she won't be telling anyone and end up causing trouble. Sorry I forgot to tell you. I had to call her at 6:45 this morning." I quickly explain.

"Just remember to tell me these things before you run off." He replies.

I go and hold him in a quick embraced give him a quick kiss.

"Be safe, and don't be long okay?" He says, with care.

"Yes. I love you." I reply and give him a quick grin.

I run out the door and jump into our little car. I start the engine and drive to the train station. Normally it is a short walk, but in this weather it is not pleasant. I arrive at the train station and park. My mother's train should be here any minute.

Eventually, I hear the train coming into the station. The train stops and the passengers are let off. Almost nobody gets off, and I see my fair, blonde mother walk off the train. I see an Avox, carry her luggage off the train. I come up to her.

"Mother?"

"Katniss dear, It's so nice to see you." She says, coming over to embrace me.

"Yes. It is. Now let's get to the car." I reply, quickly ending the embrace before shepherding her to the car.

"You have a car?" She inquires.

"Yes. Gift from Plutarch." I say as I open the door for her. I quickly get in the drivers side and start driving home. 

"I heard about the engagement." She says looking at my ring.

"I apologise that we didn't call earlier, but we were just wrapped up in taking care of Annie and hosting all the guests we had in the house." I reply, hastily.

She gives me a sympathetic look.

We arrive home, and I put the car in it's little storage room. We get out and I take her upstairs.

"Mrs Everdeen! How lovely to see you," says Peeta, politely.

"It is lovely to see you too, Peeta." She says with a genuine smile.

"Let me see Annie first, so I can check that everything is okay." She continues. I lead her to the living room where Annie and Johanna are sitting, watching some television show featuring Plutarch.

"Annie, this is my mother. She is a doctor and I asked her to come and see you, maybe see if she can help you with the dizziness." I say, as Johanna gets up and leaves the room.

My mother asks Annie a series of questions, like any good doctor, and examines her.

"Gosh Annie, you are rather small for 4 months," my mother remarks as she measures her and writes everything down.

She gives Annie a full check up then calls me over.

"Katniss, here are some pills you need to make sure that Annie takes. It will stop her dizziness. But you need to make sure that she eats enough as she can get dizzy from that and the pills won't help. She will faint, and that will become an issue." She whispers, frankly.

"Is everything else okay?" I ask.

"Yes, just fine. Only thing is, I was wondering if I could look at some of the old victors houses. I am considering moving back here because they are building a big hospital here." She proposes.

"If you'd like to take a look at the houses Peeta or I can show you later."  I reply, somewhat irked.

"I think I'll go for a lie down. I didn't get much sleep last night." She responds.

"I'll show you to the guest room." I say as I usher my mother to one of the freshly clean guest rooms that I cleaned after the prep team left.

I run back to my bedroom and quickly change out of the coat and shoes I put on, and run back downstairs to join the others. I sit back in Peeta's lap as we begin to watch the next X men movie, called Days of Future Past. I nestle into Peeta's lap and feel his soft touch hold my hand and caress my face. I lean towards him and kiss him softly, as the movie starts.

"I love you Peeta," I whisper.

"I love you too Katniss," he replies as he holds me in his warm embrace.

Author's note:

Sorry for a late update! I hope you enjoy this chapter; it might not seem significant but it does set things up for later. Let me know what you think.

Xx Avi