| Chapter Forty |

"This could take a while."

---

"Why are you so protective over Frisk?" I asked. "Listen. You're not going to get any answers out of me. I know what you're trying to do." Chara stated. "What do you think I'm trying to do?" I asked. "You're trying to get closer to me just so that you can hurt me. You're just like everyone else." Chara sighed as they looked away. I looked into their red eyes and saw...

Sadness.

That must be why they don't let anyone get close. They don't want to be hurt again.

"...C-Chara?" I said. "What do you want...?" Chara asked. "A-Are... are you okay?" I questioned. "No. I'm not okay." Chara said as they looked me straight in the eye. It's like their eyes were peircing through my soul. Their gaze sent shivers down my spine.

Chara stood up and left the restaurant.

"Chara! Wait!" I exclaimed as I followed behind them. "What do you want?! I told you everything that you wanted to hear!" Chara yelled. "Chara, I know there's more to the story." I sighed. "(Y/N), for once in your life, can't you just... stay out of it...?" Chara asked.

"But Chara, I―"

"I said, STAY OUT OF IT!"

Chara's eyes turned completely black as they shoved me onto the ground.

"Chara! What do you think you're doing to (Y/N)?!" Sans yelled. Chara now had some sort of black liquid leaking out of their void-like eyes. "Sans, no, you don't understand! This is my fault!" I exclaimed. A cyan aura surrounded Chara and threw them onto the concrete. A small amount of blood spilled out of the corner of Chara's mouth.

Chara winced as they slowly stood back up. They looked at Sans and ran away.

"(Y/N)! Are you okay?! Did Chara do anything to you?!" Sans exclaimed. "Yes, I'm fine!" I replied. "I'm so mad that Chara did that... that brat's gonna pay for what they've done." Sans growled. "Sans, I want you to be nicer to Chara." I sighed. "What? Why? After all they've done? Never." Sans frowned.

"What did they even do?" I asked. "Listen, I don't feel like talking about it at the moment," Sans said. "Let's just go home."

---