Chapter 6

A/N- the village chef house above.
This chapter and the others that will follow will be in the present.(kinda present) Raven will be 17. Just to help you get a better idea of the time/age frame I'm working with.

Raven's POV

I sat on the roof of my hut, once again tying it. There was a storm last night that quite literally blew my roof away. I had woken up due to the howling winds and the rain beating down on me. When the roof was blown away, I searched in the dark for it to no avail. I had to sleep in an uncovered hut, the rain pouring.

I woke up with a slight fever that I chose to ignored. My first priority was to make a new roof. That took me half of the morning to do. The other half I was tying it to the hut. Amon told me that he wouldn't meet me until after lunch, so I wasn't in a hurry. But I was hungry. I was so busy with my roof I forgot to look for food.

My white dress was damp with sweat. Actually all of my dresses were wet from the rains last night. Without a doubt, they were now ruined. I can't let Amon know. He wouldn't be too happy. As a child I was deliriously happy every time I got a new dress from him. But as a teenager I had to be cautious. Who the hell am I kidding?! Whenever I get a new dress from him I would hug him tightly.

A familiar tremor ran through my body. I bit my lip to keep from crying out in pain. Recently, the tremors I felt when Amon was approaching were starting to feel like lightening bolts running through my body.

Dropping my body on the roof, I laid on my back, waiting for the pain to go away. Normally the pain disappeared after about five minutes. After almost fifteen, the pain finally vanished. Sighing in relief, I jumped off the roof. I'll finish it later. Right now I want to see Ami. There's something I have to tell him and he wouldn't like it.

Running through the forest, I smiled as I approached the river. I spotted Ami near the edge looking down into the crystal water. I suddenly skid to a halt when someone stepped out in front of me. Looking at them I realized it was one of the men from the village. To be precise, he was the son of the man that stabbed me repeatedly when I was nine. I think his name was Orias or something like that.

Looking back at the river, I noticed that Amon had disappeared. He was hiding. Orias looked at me with shock written on his face. Why the hell is he so surprised to see me? The leaves rustled nearby and a woman walked out of the shrubs. Her olive skin was flushed and there was a slight sheen of sweat covering her. Her long brown hair was a mess, twigs and leaves sticking out of it. Tilting my head to the side, I wondered what they were doing there? But I don't think they thought people came this deep in the forest. Orias eyes were as large as saucers. He was shocked that he got caught. Was it bad that he got caught?

Shrugging my shoulders I walked past them, only to have Orias grab my hand and yank me back.

"You won't tell anyone about this?" He asked.

His voiced was calm but his eyes betrayed him. They were filled with fear. Who was he afraid of? Also why would he ask me that? Didn't he know that I'm mute? Well mute to the villagers anyway. I just looked at him like he was the biggest idiot in the world. Which he probably was.

"Babe. Leave her. The freak doesn't talk." The woman said, holding his free hand.

That reminds me. He's still touching me. I yanked my wrist away from his grasp. Over the years, thanks to Ami, I got over my fear of humans. Now I just hate them. He kept telling me not to, but then he also said he understand why my hatred was there.

"Right." Orias said, ignoring me now.

I chose that moment to disappear. I hope they leave quickly. With them here, Ami won't come out of hiding. When I approached the trees closer to the river, a large hand covered my mouth and I was pulled deeper into the forest. My hands were held behind my back as I was dragged away from the river. I reacted on instinct. I jammed my elbow into my attacker's ribs and kicked his shin. Thank you Ami for teaching me how to defend myself. The person grunted but didn't let go. It was like he didn't even feel it.