Chapter 37

AMON POV

I wanted to always protect her. I thought that with the village destroyed she would be safe from those who may have wanted to hurt her. But knowing the fact that she was almost raped while in the castle, set my blood on fire. I never considered that anyone would have the audacity to attack her after I introduced her as my bride to be. Much less someone who used to be by Ronove's side.

Leraje. She seemed to know him. From where? I never saw him in the village and Raven should only people from there. Looking down at her sleeping form next to me, I watched as her mouth healed itself while she slept.

Evra said it would have taken days to heal, but Raven always healed whatever injuries she had faster when her body was at rest. Bending to kiss her now fully healed lips, I left to return to the dungeons. Ronove better have some answers for me. The council did introduce Leraje as his sorcerer. There is a connection between him, this sorcerer and my Raven. And I will find out what it is.

Entering the dungeon, I spotted Ronove levitating, eyes closed, legs crossed, his lips moving quickly and silently as he recited some spell. Not knowing how important the spell was, I didn’t disturb him. Within a few minutes, his eyes opened and he lowered himself to the ground.

“How is she Amon?” She asked, his face creased with worry. Is that the way my own face looked earlier?

“Asleep. Her mouth has already healed, and I’m guessing her other injuries will heal soon. But even if her physical scars are gone, what happened to her tonight is worse than when the village chef almost raped her. I was able to kill him, preventing it from happening. But not this time. She won’t forget this any time soon, no matter how much she wants to.”

“I was trying to see how she knows Leraje. I had to delve deep into her memories.”

“Isn’t that difficult? Searching through years of someone's life.”

“Normally yes. But she’s my blood. It would have been more difficult if she wasn’t related to me.”

“Ronove, who is Leraje really?” I asked, making my way to his bed and sitting down.

He conjures a chair and sat in front of me. “He was my sorcerer. You are aware that I got the throne after my father died mysteriously. I wasn’t even eighteen, yet I had all the power of my forefathers. Leraje was a child my father took in and cared for. When it was discovered that he was a sorcerer, one of the last, it was decided that he would become my father's left hand.

“He was seventeen when my father fell sick. Leraje was already the King’s sorcerer at the time. My father’s death was deemed an accident. Which demon King of Raum ever died of an accident? None. He was my father, yet Leraje was more upset than I was about his death. No one knew why he threw a tantrum when I assumed the throne. Everyone thought he was upset that his benefactor had died.

“When I ruled, since Leraje was already my father's sorcerer, I kept him on as mine. He stayed by my side for the seven hundred and twenty five years I was on the throne. About twenty years ago, around the time I met Nathalia, he started to act suspicious and more withdrawn. He kept following me to the human realm, thinking I wouldn't notice portals opening. Truthfully, he went missing a year before Raven was born. Now I see that he’s been in the village all these years, posing as human.”

“I knew he was lying about having been sealed by you. But to think that a demon was living undetected in the human realm.” I said.

“Well he is a sorcerer. He has almost as much power as the Valac Kings.”