You Don't Like Christmas?

Start from the beginning

The teaher had decided to extend the project, making it our final exam, and part of the grade would be based on our preparation sheet. This included an explanation of the symbolism of what I chose to do, and had to show that I had tried to do it with different materials.

So here I was, finishing what had taken me months to do, and had then to reproduce the final piece  from blank in four hours. Four freaking hours.

Hours passed by without me even noticing, as I painted and listened to the music and got deep in my thoughts. I didn't even notice my phone lighting up, signaling that I had a message. I only noticed when I sensed some movement next to me, and looking at my computer, I saw a tab pop up, being it of a facetime request. I accepted it and stopped the music, careful to not smudge paint on my computer. That's when Shawn appears.

I missed him so damn much.

"Hey princess! How was it today?" He asks me straight away.

"I kind of panicked, but that song saved me. You can't believe how much that helped me. Thank you so much. You're amazing." I say smiling, truly grateful. I had been having trouble memorizing some things for the exams, so Shawn had helped me by going through the trouble of changing the lyrics of his songs by the things I didn't know, and I just had to remember the lyrics to memorize. I still wonder how I got so lucky to have someone like him.

I lo- like him so much.

"You're welcome. I'm glad I helped. But hey, it is over already, isn't it?"

"Not really. I still have the Art and Music exams tomorrow." I say, showing him the thin brush in my hand.

"Those don't count!" He snorts. "You'll ace them with eyes closed."

I roll my eyes, sighing as I make the final touches on my piece.
"And you? What are the next things on the calendar?"

"Not much, actually. I have some performances and interviews for the next few days, and then I am back to Canada. I can't wait to see everyone! I haven't seen my parents since they helped me move out." he beams as he thinks of going back to his home town, a twinkle in his eyes. I know how much he loves it.

And yes, Shawn moved out already. He is now living in a apartment in Manhattan. He likes it, though he is always telling me how it feels kind of lonely.
"I'm really happy for you." I say sincerely, smiling at his beaming face.

"And it's so weird. I can't believe that Christmas is in only two weeks. This year went by so fast, don't you think?"

I could have said no, as it seems like an eternity has gone by since the last time I saw him. But thinking in general, the year flew by. I feel realization hitting me hard, as I remember like it was yesterday the day when I was at my grandparents house last christmas feeling incredibly bored and down, and found Shawn's music. And now fast forward one year, and we are dating. Woah. I would never have believed if someone had told me that day what the future awaited.

"Yeah, you're right." I say, nodding.

"I like Christmas a lot. Don't you too?" He asks me, and feeling bad for not agreeing as much, I bite my lip.

"Um...it gives me holidays, so I guess I like it." I smile lightly and shrug.

"What? You don't like Christmas? It is the best holiday! How can't you like homemade food, and the house being so cozy, and being together with your family, and the snow outside?"