He turned his head to me, pouting slightly. "What?" 

"The whole 'boyfriend' thing? Seriously, that wasn't cool." I replied, crossing my arms across my chest as we paused to assess one another. He looked half-dead. "You look.... spaced out. Are you okay?"

"Yeah," he replied, rubbing his eyes. "What were we talking about?" 

"Are you drunk? Or are you just sleepy –"

Daniel's voice appeared from behind Aiden. "He's high if that's the word you're looking for." My frown deepened and it seemed as though as soon as Daniel had said those words, all of the symptoms of being 'high' were more prominent. Daniel was overtly happy whilst Aiden was sleepy – both their eyes were slightly red and they were both very much in their own world. 

High? They must be kidding me. "Is this what you do for fun?"

Daniel raised his hands in surrender, smiling. "Definitely. Marijuana makes the heart rounder." He addressed my stultification here. "It makes you super happy - well me, anyway."

"That is the stupidest reason for doing weed I have ever heard." I stated, eyeing Aiden as he smiled at something in the sky and nudged me, pointing to it excitedly. I quickly slipped besides him, clutching onto his arm more tightly now – I was scared he was so high he'd fly away.

"Don't judge us Little Miss I've Been In Jail." He waggled his eyebrows at me.

"Shut up."

"I would invite you to join, but I think Emma would probably lock you in your room if you ever did anything relatively stupid again." Daniel reasoned, as him and Aiden slowly drifted away from me.

"I would never agree to it," I paused, looking around at the nearly empty street.

"Are you okay getting home?" Daniel yelled now that he was near the car – Aiden had yanked the door open and I saw that there were more people piled into the car than I thought possible. Aiden glanced at me over his shoulder and his eyes softened, an adorable grin forming on his face. He opened his mouth to say something, but Daniel had shoved him into the car with his foot. 

I nodded, blinking dazedly as they waved to me and jumped into the car, revving the engine and then driving off, leaving me with confused and bewildered.

*** ***

I was just about ready to switch the lights off before I ninja stepped to my bed when my phone rang. I frowned and checked the caller ID. It was unknown. I hesitated before picking it up – people never usually called me and especially not at 10:00 at night. I paused, hearing silence on the other side.

"Hello?" 

"April?" A familiar voice came from the other side of the phone, making my heart squeeze a little.

"Aiden?"

"Well done Sherlock," he laughed softly from the other side of the phone.

"I see my Sherlock Holmes influence has rubbed off one you," I smiled, flopping down on my bed so I was lying on my back and smiling up faded blue-pattern on the ceiling.

I could almost feel the   scowl on his face from over the phone. "Shut up Cruella."

I paused. "Are you still high?" 

"It's just weed April, not devil spawn. It makes my heart happy."

"I know. But still, weed is a really stupid thing to do. It can have so many bad affects on you - schizophrenia later in life, it promotes addiction and can also cause temporary memory loss." I rambled. "It may make you feel happy for a little while, but it's a gate-way drug and you'll end up not feeling so great afterwards." I ended, catching my breath.

There was silence at the end of the line and I paused, slightly irritated to see if he had hung up. "Aiden?"

A pause. "I'm here."

"Well, did you listen to everything I just said?"

"Nope, not really. Look, April, I need an escape - those are my escape – it's just a bit of fun and trust me, the effect it has on me isn't so bad anymore."

I hesitated, piecing together a response in my mind. "I'm just saying it because I care about what happens – "I paused, finding the right word. "To you guys," I ended up saying.

He laughed softly, and spoke in a hushed tone now. "And anyway, I just called to say goodnight, not for a lecture about god-damn weed."

We lapsed into a comfortable silence – my usually passive expression fading. No-one has ever rang me to say goodnight. No-one. "April? Are you there?" His voice gently bought me out of my daydream.

"I'm here... And – goodnight Aiden, although I'm guessing you aren't going to sleep yet since you 'come alive at the night.'" I laughed quoting him as I flipped over so I was leaning against my elbows, the phone propped between my shoulder and ear. 

"And I didn't mean for you to see me like that... high I mean," he admitted thoughtfully. 

"Well, at least you're not up in the clouds anymore."

"I'm always up in the clouds, Cruella," his voice was light-hearted. "Hopefully you were embarrassed when Lola bought up your 'boyfriend' – I would have killed to see your reaction." 

I scowled at the phone. "You are a total jerk for doing that, you know that? Lola hates men in general because they all treat her like crap and then you go and make her think that the one girl who would never score a guy has a guy." I exploded into the phone, grimacing at his laughter on the other end. "And anyway, you're a stalker. I don't even know how you got my number."

"You don't look after your phone very well – it was pretty easy for Beau to take it out of your pocket and give it out to everyone." 

"Or, you could have just asked me for my number." I snapped, collapsing until I was lying flat on my stomach, frowning at his words next.

"Stop sulking – anyway, I have to go. Goodnight." My stomach fell slightly. "Sleep tight, Cruella, don't let the bed bugs bite." He finished with a cackle, before the line went dead.

I fell asleep that night worrying, smiling and nervous about tomorrow – I had absolutely no idea what Jerkface had in mind for me. Though calling him Jerkface simply made me smile because I knew that this time I didn't actually mean it.