|| twenty-four || happy beginnings ||

6 months later

It was long overdue but Maine finally had a chance to babysit Baby Zia, who had just recently turned one. Dingdong had to go away for three days in a conference in Singapore and Marian wanted to come, also so she could have some private moments with her ever busy husband so they could extend for a week after Dingdong's conference. Maine offered to look after Zia so the couple could have their second honeymoon.

Marian was thrilled, though it was perfectly fine to bring along Zia but she felt that she and Dingdong needed to be alone, just for three days to try out for baby number two.

While Maine babysat Zia, RJ would be working both at the clinic and the hospital, tending Dingdong's patients. It was his way of paying back to his Kuya Dingdong for covering for that accident in Bulacan and their honeymoon. He felt a bit bad for his Kuya Dingdong so he said he could go on vacation for a week if he needed and RJ would take care of everything.

Maine would take Zia to work every day. Zia loved to stroll around the vineyard and Valeen and Jerald seemed to enjoy playing with her too.

Saturday came and it was Zia's last day with them, Marian and Dingdong were arriving the next day. It was also RJ's day off so he was thrilled to spend the whole day with his wife and his niece Zia.

"So, hon. What's our plan today?" RJ asked that morning while he was preparing breakfast and Maine was feeding Zia her baby food.

She shrugged, "Well, barbecue tayo mamaya with the guys. Lucy is coming down to say goodbye cause she's flying na to America in a few days so this afternoon parang mini farewell party natin para sa kanya," she grinned, then feeling sick once again when the smell of RJ's cooking reached her nose, she tried to hide from her husband because she did not want him to worry so she tried to keep a straight face.

When she could not longer contain it, she graciously excused herself and told her husband that she needed to go to the toilet.

She didn't want him to worry about it, she had a sense of what she was feeling but she couldn't tell him without a proper confirmation.

When she came back, RJ only looked at her worriedly. "Love, OK ka lang? You look pale," he walked up to her and touched her forehead to check her temperature. "OK naman ah,"

Shaking her head, "OK lang ako, love. May naamoy lang ako na di ko nagustohan." She answered, RJ nodded.

"Baka si Zia nag poop?" He crunched up his nose, Zia giggled and stuck her tiny tongue out to him. Maine silently thanked Zia for covering her up.

"I'll change her nappy," she said, taking Zia from her high seat and carried her to their bedroom.

-

They skipped lunch and instead prepared the food they needed for their mini barbecue party. Maine, who had been taught by Marian their family's secret recipe to marinating pork and chicken, slaved away in the kitchen while RJ set up the barbecue grill and picnic benches outside.

Around two o'clock, Valeen, Jerald and Lucy were the first ones to arrive. Lucy and Valeen met at the wedding but they didn't immediately hit it off, Valeen soon warmed up to Lucy. While Jerald and RJ were outside in the garden playing with the dogs, Maine and the girls were in the kitchen with Valeen playing with Zia while Lucy sat by the kitchen counter sipping her first glass of wine.

"I really hope you will find your true love don sa states," Maine said to Lucy sincerely, giving her a warm smile.

Lucy replied, "I wouldn't really hope for it, medyo pagod na ako sa mga ganyang, Meng." She smiled, "I'm just happy na OK at malusog pamilya ko and naging OK na rin tayo so I can't ask for more, really."