Gills- Chapter Nine

I'm sorry, I went through a serious writers block, but I'm back now!

*********************************************

Recap: "Luke... your parents are...um... Lucy and Jacob Van Derr."

Annie's POV

Luke stares at me, speechless.

"What...you mean...?" He trails off.

"That we're related? Yeah." I still couldn't believe it myself.

"Are... are you sure? I mean, we could just have the surname or something."

I shake my head, smiling slightly. "No, I don't think so. I was trying to tell you this morning. Grams had a brother, Brandon. They didn't see each other. But then she found out that he had a child, Jacob." I pause for effect. "Your dad."

"Whoa."

"Yup. I second that."

I look across at him. He looks pale, with dark streaks under his eyes. His eyes look even darker than usual, and his brown hair is tussled.

I get up, and grab his hand, taking him downstairs, and plonking him on the couch. I sit down next to him, and I rest my head on his shoulder. He slides his arm round my shoulders, holding me tight. It feels really nice, makes me feel safe, even.

It's weird what's going on with me and Luke. I like him, I really, really like him, but I don't think he likes me. Not like that, anyway.

But I'm happy being like this. I'd rather be like this than have nothing.

"Wait." Luke says suddenly. I glance up at him.

"Can Brandon and Jacob breathe underwater?"

I'm surprised. "Um... I don't know."

Luke looks excited. "But they probably can, right? If you Grams can, and you can, then I can!"

"Luke... I don't know."

"I could try."

I'm overtaken by anger. "No! You can't, Luke! You could drown. You'll die!"

He's extremely calm. "No, I won't."

I resist the urge to slap him. "I can't deal with this now. I'm going to the bathroom."

***

When I emerge a few minutes later, Luke is not sitting on the couch, where I left him.

"Luke?" I call.

No answer. I stick my head in the kitchen, but he's not there. I go back out into the hall, thoroughly confused. I stand there for a few minutes, and then I notice something. Luke's shoes and coat is gone.

No.

I can't believe it.

He's gone. To the beach.

I have to stop him.

With lightning speed, I shove my shoes onto my feet, and run out the front door.

Even though I'm running as fast as I could, it takes around five minutes to reach the beach.

I slow, not sure which part of the ocean to go in, not sure of where he'd be.

I spot his shoes and coat draped over a rock.

I dive in.

The water is murky, and freezing. Not the best day to go swimming.

When I can't find him, I panic.

Oh, how much I hope he'll suddenly pop out of the water, breathing easily.

I see a dark splodge.

I swim closer.

The dark splodge is Luke.

And he's definitely not breathing.

*********************************

Dun Dun Dun Dun!

Everyone, please check out my Haiti poem!