Gills- Chapter Four

Woo!!! Hellooo again! This chapter will be more interesting, I hope!

*******************************************

I'm floating, at the bottom of the ocean.

You might ask why.

Well, it's peaceful, for starters. Quiet and dark and cool.

I take in a deep breathe, feeling my gills open.

It's Saturday, work day, but they've closed for the day. I've no idea why. But now, thanks to them, I have nothing to do. I suppose I could ring Luke, but I'm really not in the mood for social interaction right now. I just need some Me time.

So here I am, lying at the bottom of the ocean, bobbing gently.

I dig my fingers soft sand, scoop out and handful, and lift up my arm. I slowly unclench my fist, watch the sand float away. I lean back and close my eyes.

The one annoying thing about being slim is that it is impossible to stay in one place. My behind is only slightly touching the seabed, as are my hands. Whenever the slightest breeze comes along, then whoosh! Off I went, carried off by the current. I have to admit, its fun.

I twist into a more comfortable position, and slowly drift off to sleep.

Only a few minutes later, someone grabs my arm, and starts dragging me to the surface. Startled and panicked, I twist and try to yank my arm from their grasp.

It doesn't work. They're too strong.

We finally break the surface, and I hear him gasping for breath. I rub water out of my burning eyes, and look up.

It's Luke.

I nearly choke.

He looks livid.

"What in the name of hell were you doing, Annie?" He grinds the words out between his teeth. I flinch back. I have no idea what to say.

So I don't say anything.

"Annie!" He takes me from the shoulders and shakes me. "I thought you were dead..."

I swallow. "How did you know I was down there?"

"I was over there," He points to a distance cliff. "I recognised you from your costume. I saw you go under. I watched you, waiting for you to come up. But you didn't." He swallowed, hard. "I had to run down all those steps, and then swim to you, which took ages. You should be dead."

I looked down at the water we were treading. His hand immediately pulls my chin up, forcing me to look at him.

He talks very slowly. "You were down there for so much longer than me. But when I pulled you out, I was completely out of breath, and you... weren't."

I stay silent. I don't know what else to do.

"Annie. I know something's up with you. I've always known. But now I want to know what." He says this so firmly, and I can't escape his gaze.

I take a really deep breath. His gaze holds mine. I look down.

"Okay, you're right. There is something. But if I tell you, IF, then you have to promise me something. You have to keep this a secret. I mean it. You can't tell ANYONE."

He nods. "I promise you. You can trust me, I promise." And I know I can. I trust him more that anyone.

I nod. "Okay...the thing is... I can breathe underwater."

***************************************

I'll write the next chapter tonight, if I have time. For the next chapter, would you like Luke's POV, or would you like me to stick with Annie? Let me know. :)