Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

Eli looked over to me. I looked away from his gaze feeling awful. I feel ashamed letting Justin ask Eli for money. It's like we're these poor pitiful people begging for help.

"I'm going to help you," Eli said. "I'll withdraw money from the bank tomorrow."

"Listen, I will pay you every cent -."

"No need," Eli said cutting Justin off. "You don't need to pay me anything."

"I can't let you do that," Justin shook his head.

He shrugged. "Then think of it as a bonus from your work."

Someone came out of the house. The woman put her purse over her shoulder. "Are you ready to go Eli?" She said looking up. "Oh, I'm sorry; I didn't realize you were talking with someone."

"Mom, this is Savannah's brother, Justin." Eli said.

"Nice to meet you. Call me Kimberly." She shook hands with Justin. She glanced over to me and gave me a smile. "You better wrap up your conversation, Eli. We're going to be late." She walked over to her car.

"Where are you going?" Justin asked.

"Oh, I'm going to church. My mom and I go every Sunday. So where are you guys headed?"

"The hospital. Savannah stepped on glass last night. We have to get it removed."

"Is it alright if I talk to her?" Eli asked.

"Go right ahead." Justin moved out of the way.

I sighed and slouched in my seat as Eli came walking up to the car. I kicked the door open for him. He pulled it open the rest of the way then crouched down next to me.

"How are you holding up?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Fine, I guess."

He smiled and grabbed my hand. Eli entwined his fingers with mine. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

I pulled my hand out of his. "Yeah, we'll see about that."

We were startled after Eli's mom honked the horn.

He sighed. "I'll talk to you later, Savannah, I gotta get going." He stood up and shut the car door. Eli lightly hit Justin in the arm. "I'll see you tomorrow." He ran over to his car and got in.

Justin got in the car, but didn't pull into the street until Kimberly and Eli left first. He suddenly patted my head and smiled.

"How can you smile like that?" I asked. "You're borrowing money from Eli."

He took his hand away from me. "What do you want me to do? We don't have many options. Eli agreed on doing it, you should be happy."

"Then why do I feel so awful about it?"

"Savvy, Eli and I don't want you to be kicked out of the house. We're doing this for you." He said ignoring my question.

I didn't say anything back. We were silent the rest of the way to the hospital. Justin parked near the entrance and helped me out of the car. He put his arm around me for support. We were directed down the hall where someone could help me. Justin had to sign a couple of things before someone took me in. The doctor told me to have a seat and take off my sock and shoe. Justin stood by me as the doctor began to remove the glass. It felt painful and a little awkward.

"You don't seem to have too much glass in your foot," the doctor said pulling a piece out.

I looked away feeling disgusted. I felt him wrapping my foot up in gauze.