"Yay! Thank you Vic."

"It's no problem Cope."

I turn the stove off, grabbing two plates and cups. Copeland continues to sing, switching songs to Under The Sea from The Little Mermaid. I take the spatula I was using to stir the chicken fried rice and begin to serve up the dinner, putting a decent amount on each plate. Next I go for the juice, grabbing the chocolate milk for Cope.

Soon enough I have everything served and set on the table so I go towards the bathroom, Copeland's singing had stopped a minute ago. "Alright Cope, the tables set. Ready to come out?"

My stomach drops as I enter the bathroom, the bathtub empty. "Cope?" I call out, her barbies still in the full tub. I leave the bathroom, going to her room. "Copeland!" I yell, peaking into the closet.

"Copeland!!" I was completely terrified now, my stomach twisted into a knot. All the rooms were empty, Copeland no where in sight. My eyes prickle with tears. "You're over reacting Vic, calm down." I say to myself, taking a deep breath. No matter how many deep breaths I took I couldn't stop the tears that streamed down my cheeks.

I was freaking out, Kellin coming to mind. He trusted me with his child. He had faith in me to keep her safe. "Copeland!" I scream again, basically sobbing. How did I not see her leave? Did she slip out when I was setting the table? I go to the front door, jiggling the door handle. Still locked from when I locked it earlier.

My legs carry me to the backdoor and it opens when I twist the knob. I never locked it. I should've locked it. I leave the house, going into the backyard. The neighbors were having a barbecue, looks of concern on their faces as I frantically search my small backyard.

I wipe my eyes, going to their deck. "Hey Amy, did you see a little girl leave through there?" I ask, breathing heavily and pointing towards my backdoor. "No, we didn't see anyone. Are you alright Vic?" Amy asks sweetly, her guests giving each other weird looks.

"Y-Yeah, everything's fine. Enjoy your dinner."

I leave them quickly, going back into the house. My hands tremble in fists at my side.

(yall I was so close to puttin that arthur meme right here but I have self control)

My stomach drops for a second time today as a small giggle erupts behind me. "Vic!"

I turn to see Copeland hiding behind the couch, fully dressed. "Oh my god." I breathe, rushing over to her and bringing her into my arms. "Why are you hugging me?" She asks, arms trying to wrap around me.

I just cry, not answering her question. The stress of everything spills out of me through my eyes.

This is a rare occurrence. I don't usually cry but when I do its when everything is bottled up. "Y-You scared me." I cry, holding her to my chest tightly.

"I was just playing hide n seek... I didn't mean to make you cry." She says quietly, looking down at her hands when I pull back. "Don't do that ever again, you understand?" My voice comes out stern, a frown on her face.

"I understand." She mutters, still looking down at her hands. "You aren't in trouble honey okay? It's just you scared me real bad..."

She nods, looking up at me. "I love you, okay?"

"I love you too."

A sad smile stretched on my face and I pull her back in for a hug, leading her to the table. "Let's just eat dinner okay? Maybe we can watch a movie?" I offer, trying to lighten the gloomy mood.

She smiles at this, nodding happily. "Can we watch Ariel?"

"Of course we can watch Ariel, but you gotta eat your food first."

Her smile widens more as she takes her seat at the table, digging into the food immediately. I watch her as she eats, her small hand holding onto the fork. It was weird to remember that she's not my kid. Some days, I forget completely.

Some days I just act like she's mine and everything is okay.

-

this shows you how much Vic cares for lil ol copey

(; yall the next chapter finna be cute get ready for zoo realness

of mice & men got me shook

-memekayla