Part 36

"So, you never tell me what you like about me."

"What?" I was surprised by his question.

"Why do you like me?"

"Uh.. I don't.. I mean I never think about that."

"Well, what do you like about me?" Lucas insisted.

"I don't know." I sighed.

"Okay, just tell me that you didn't like me just because Riley likes me."

"Of course not! Why would I like a guy just because she likes him?"

"Well you two are really close."

"Yeah, that doesn't mean I love everything she loves. She loves tomato sauce with her mac and cheese and that makes me wanna puke."

"Okay. Then what is it that you like about me?"

"Why are you asking this all of the sudden?"

"Because I want to know what you like about me." He laughed. "Just wanna make sure you don't like me because she likes me."

"Why would I do that? Why would I like you just because she likes you? To see if you're good enough for her? Who would do that? That's crazy."

"I hear you."

"I didn't like you before. You know, when you're all lovey dovey with Miss Little Ray of Sunshine. I guess I started to like you when Zay moved here."

"Zay? What's that have to do with you liking me?"

"Zay came here and he showed us that you are not a moral compass. You're not perfect."

"No. I'm not." He sighed.

"And that's a good thing. I guess that was the first time I actually see you as a person. Then you stood up for me when they almost cancel art class. And I think, wow.. for the first time in my life, I realize that someone could actually care about me, someone beside Riley, Shawn and my mom."

"I really do care about you."

"I know that. But I've always seen you as a part of Riley. I saw you as something untouchable."

"Hey.." Lucas grabbed my hand gently. He intertwined our fingers and smiled at me. "I'm completely touchable."

"That's kinda sweet." I smiled. "And a little bit gross." We laughed.

"I'm not Riley's, Maya. She doesn't own me."

"I know... I just, never thought that this can actually happen."

"I want this to happen. So, Maya Penelope Hart, would you please be my girlfriend?"

"I would.. love that." I smiled. God it felt so right.

He smiled and kissed me on the forehead.

"I love you, Maya. I really do."

"I love you too Huckleberry. And I'm sorry I took the easy way out. I'm sorry for being a coward."

"That doesn't matter anymore." He let go of my hand and pulled me closer.

When he hugged me, I can feel it.

I can actually feel the cracks on my heart healed.